| Eleven || Apple Juice and Mothers |

"You finally hung out with, Brice?" Sadaf said, a little too loudly for my taste, even though we sat in the noisy cafeteria

"You finally hung out with, Brice?" Sadaf said, a little too loudly for my taste, even though we sat in the noisy cafeteria. "That's definitely an improvement."

        He was even talking to me in psych. Mostly because I gained the courage to sit next to him, but he was talking to me nevertheless.

        "Was he a somewhat decent human being?" Mi Yun asked while munching on a banana. "Or is he just an all-around asshole?"

        "Ha-ha," I said, sarcasm marking my tone as I held a blank expression. "Brice is not that bad."

        "Neither is Sabrina." Mi Yun stole a fry from my plate. "But that doesn't stop you from hating her."

        Sadaf nodded in agreement. "Touché."

        "We'll talk about it more at Sadaf's house." The three of us were supposed to go to the Bagheri house after school today, so I'd just tell them then. I had too much to say, and it wouldn't all fit in a short lunch period. Sadaf nodded, but Mi Yun cleared her throat. "Mimi?" She refused to look at me. "What's wrong?"

        "I don't think I can make it," she mumbled.

        "Why not?" I asked, and she cringed.

        "You're not gonna like it."

        It dawned on me. "Sabrina?" Mi Yun circled her bangles around her wrist, over and over again. "You have plans with Sabrina, don't you?"

        And she wondered why I didn't like this girl. How could I when she was ditching us for her?

        "Es, it's okay." Sadaf covered my hand with hers. "Me and you will have fun. Mimi and Sabrina will have fun." I crossed my arms. "We'll all have fun. It'll be great."

        I needed apple juice.

        "Whatever." I stood up. "I'll be back. I have to go to the vending machine." They sent me knowing looks, and I turned around and made my way over to the vending machine.

        The nerve of Mi Yun. Abandoning her friends for some basic girl? It was insulting and frustrating. It'd been a while since all three of us hung out at Sadaf's house, and I was looking forward to it, but no. Sabrina Fraser had to ruin it.

        When I got closer to the vending machine, I almost tripped over air when I spotted a familiar figure standing in front of it.

        Brice.

        His jean jacket gave him away.

        I managed my pace wisely, wanting to get there before he left but not wanting to get there too fast out of fear of appearing desperate. When I reached him, he was bending over to grab a king-sized Kit Kat.