| Two || Interpersonal Hatred |

"I got so fucked up last night," Ximena groaned across the line as the familiar ruffling of sheets filled the background

She was hungover in bed.

"At least you're back in your dorm," I muttered while resting back on my bed's headboard.

It was Ximena's first year in college, and she told me a couple days prior there was going to be a party at one of the frat houses before classes started. I wasn't surprised she got drunk. No wonder she called me last night. It was rare for Ximena to want to contact me out of the blue. It was even rarer for me to do the same, but I missed her call last night, so I had to check on her.

If I knew I was going to get myself into this shit, I wouldn't have even bothered.

"Actually," Ximena said with her sheets ruffling some more, "I don't know how I got here or who brought me here. Hopefully I didn't have sex with anyone, and if I did, hopefully I used a condom." She chuckled.

"That's exactly what every boyfriend wants to hear." My tone came out flat.

The line went silent for a couple seconds.

        Ximena and I had been dating since my sophomore year. We were in the same geography class because she took it late. She always spoke Spanish with the girls around her, and they loved to gossip. One day, she and her friends decided to move the gossip onto me by talking about my "bad attitude."

They didn't know I was a Spaniard and one of the girls asked Ximena if I was unloved as a child, and I replied with, "Tal vez. Y tú?" The other girls were speechless, and Ximena smiled at me. We got together not long after.

        "C'mon, Jax," she said. "We both know you don't care."

I didn't.

"At least you're okay."

"Sure," she said, and we fell silent again.

Ximena and I hardly saw each other over the summer, and now she was at Bailey Scott University, so I doubted we were going to see each other anytime soon.

I was relieved.

"I gotta go," she said before I could. "I have class."

"I have school," I replied.

"Okay. Bye."

"Bye."

I hung up and got out of bed to get ready for school. It was the end of August, and things were bearable so far, but that didn't mean they were good. I just wanted to get through high school, and then get the hell out of Creek Rowe.

I sighed in annoyance as I placed my Beats around my neck and grabbed my backpack. As I passed my parent's room, the familiar sound of another one of my mother's telenovelas could be heard in the hallway. I didn't bother peeking in.