| Twenty-Six || All Unspoken Words |

She was all I could think about

She was all I could think about. It didn't matter if I continued to not talk to her in French or lunch. Or how many times I ignored her after school or didn't text her back. It was like Estella and I moved from making out and coming to terms with our feelings for each other one day to completing dismissing each other the next.

        Then again, there was only one person to blame.

        A part of me wanted to say my father, but I knew better. I was the one ruining things between me and Estella.

        The more distance I put between us, the more I wanted to get closer. I groaned, forgetting I was currently on FaceTime with Ximena.

        "What's wrong with you?" she asked with a funny look directed at me.

        "Nothing." I stared past the phone.

        "That look means it is something," she said. "What's up?"

        "Don't worry about it, Ximena."

        "That's the thing." She wagged a finger at me. "When you tell people not to worry, that's when they should worry. When you push people away, that's when you want them to get even closer. Your actions hardly match up with what you want."

        When did Ximena start paying attention to who I was as a person? When did her interest move past my dick?

        "I can say the same about you," I said.

        "I know," she said. "I purposely don't go after the things I really want because I know they're bad for me."

        Bad for her? More like she was afraid of them.

        "Ximena..."

        "This isn't about me," she said. "What's going on with you?"

        I bit my lip as I thought about it. Estella. My dad. Genevieve. Murder. How could my juvenile desires compare to these things?

        "I kissed Estella," I blurted out.

        Ximena appeared taken aback, but then she smirked. "You finally hooked up with someone other than me? I'm impressed."

        "What?"

        That wasn't the response I was expecting.

        "Jax," she said with a chuckle. "I know we're dating and all but that doesn't mean we can't have fun with other people. I thought we already established this?"

        It was a mutual agreement, but we hardly talked about it.

        "Yeah, I guess."

        "So." She adjusted herself on her bed and focused on me. "I'm not too surprised it's Estella, but tell me what happened."