| Forty || Two Best Friends and a Girl |

I woke up expecting my head to feel like a brick had been smashed onto it

I woke up expecting my head to feel like a brick had been smashed onto it. My head was heavier, but it was tolerable. The way I felt was tolerable. My mouth was a little dry, my throat a little tight and the taste of vomit lingered in my mouth.

I felt disgusting.

When I opened my eyes, that was when I caught Estella picking up my bucket of vomit. "No!" I sat up in bed, my head swirling a little. "Don't." I grabbed her wrist, but she held on. "You can't clean up my vomit."

"You're not well."

"This is embarrassing." I could barely look at her. "Not only did I fuck up last night but now you have to clean up after me."  I groaned. "I'll clean up my own mess."

"Don't be silly." She removed her wrist from my grasp. "If I don't clean up your vomit, who else will?" She smiled. "Just rest. No need to be embarrassed. It's me."

That was exactly why I was embarrassed. She walked out of the room. Estella wasn't just some random girl. I cared about how she thought of me. I cared about the way I looked in front of her. Me puking my guts out last night was anything but appealing.

Before I could lay back, Estella called out, "Wanna brush your teeth? Wash your face?"

It was the least I could do. I entered the bathroom, and the bucket was empty by then. I wanted to groan in embarrassment, but I focused on freshening up instead. I brushed my teeth, and since Estella didn't have a toothbrush, she used her fingers. We smiled at each other through the mirror. When we were done, we entered my room.

"You're really bad for my hair," Estella said as we sat on the bed, facing each other.

"How?"

"Every time we have a sleepover, I never wrap my hair," she said, "which is really bad for it."

"Wrap your hair?" I asked. "Like Sadaf's hijab?"

Estella chuckled. "No, it's something black girls do before we go to bed."

"But you have extensions," I said before taking her in. "These are extensions, right?"

"They're extensions," she said, "but I still have to take care of them. Chronic bedhead is detrimental for black hair."

"All the girls I've been with never wrapped their hair."

"Because they're white," Estella said. "Ximena is Hispanic, but she's still pretty white."

"Why is black hair so different?"

"It needs more tender, love and care."

I smiled. "Your hair is always changing."