| Thirty-Eight || Parties and Implosions |

Estella didn't talk to me the whole weekend

Estella didn't talk to me the whole weekend. The last time we spoke was our little trip to Rowe Park. I texted and called but nothing. I didn't want to blow up her phone, so I left it at that.

When Monday arrived, I was anxious for French. We still sat together, so she couldn't ignore me then. I was the first one to arrive to class, and my gaze stayed on the door until Estella came into my line of vision. When her eyes found mine, I smiled, and she sent me a small one in return. When she sat next to me, my eyes stayed on her.

"Can we talk?" I asked while she got settled in.

"About?"

I sent her a look. "Estella... You know what."

Her gaze stayed forward. "I don't know what to say, Jax."

"Let's just talk it out."

"Let's not." She finally looked at me. "I don't want to deal with this right now. I just want to focus on school, and that's it."

"Este—" I stopped because her attention was already on Madame LeBlanc.

She stayed true to her word, and Estella didn't talk to me all of French. Lunch wasn't any better. She spent most of it zoned out, and she didn't even speak to Brice much.

"Babe." Brice nudged her, getting her attention. "You okay? You've been kind of out of it today."

She sent him a smile, but I saw through it. "I'm fine. I'm gonna go get apple juice."

"I'll come with you," I said before she stood up. Oliver snorted, and I narrowed my eyes at him. "Got something to say, Oliver?"

"I'm good," he said.

"I think I'll go alone, Jax," Estella said, and she stood up.

I did as well. "I'll come. I have to buy something, anyway."

Oliver cleared his throat, and I was so close to smacking him upside the head.

"I'll get it for you," Estella said. "There's no point in us both going if I could just get it." We held eye contact, not saying anything for a couple seconds. Brice glanced between us. "Right, Jax?"

I slowly shook my head, in disbelief. "Right," I still said. I handed her some cash. "Can you get me some cheddar cheese Ruffles?"

She pocketed the money. "You got it."

And she was gone. It took me some seconds to sit back down, and I preoccupied myself with playing with my food.

"What's going on, Velasco?" Brice asked. "What's up with you guys?" He chuckled, but there was some tension in it. "Honestly, there's always something with you two. If you aren't in some unknown fight, then you're sticking together like some tag-team. You act like a couple." Oliver choked on his fries, and I almost rolled my eyes. "Did something happen when you guys went on that drive?"