| Forty-Five || The Aftermath and Meetings |

Daddy and I sat at the dining room table eating breakfast as we watched the news

Daddy and I sat at the dining room table eating breakfast as we watched the news. Jax's father was on it, and they were discussing his arrest and confession.

Daddy shook his head. "I can't believe we finally found the guy. It's surreal."

"It's a relief."

"That, too."

"We can move on now," I said.

"Yeah," he agreed. "A part of me feels bad for his family. This affects them, too."

It was definitely affecting Jax. People kept staring, and we knew they were talking. All I could do was be there for him. I was just glad he and Brice made up, so that wasn't additional stress.

"Daddy?" He looked up. "I have to tell you something."

"What is it, Bunny?"

I hesitated. "I have a boyfriend."

He nodded slowly. "I figured. Just been waiting for you to tell me."

He didn't know about Brice, but he needed to know about Jax.

"That's not all," I said. "There's something special about him."

"That's good."

"No," I said. "There's something different."

"Like what?"

I gathered my thoughts together. "I'm dating a boy named Jax. Jax Velasco."

He narrowed his eyes in thought. "Velasco? That's—"

"The last name of the man who killed mom."

"Estella..."

"I know," I said. "Jax is his son. It's less than ideal, but it's not Jax's fault. He didn't know about this until recently, and we've been talking before this came up."

"This is a difficult situation, Estella."

"It is," I said. "But Jax and I can get through it. I just thought you should know, and I'll really appreciate your blessing."

He sighed. "How can you look at him? How can you be around him?"

"I care about him," I said. "Enough to go through this with him and look past this."

He resumed eating. "It'll take some time, but I can't hate the kid. He didn't kill your mother, and he's probably going through a tough time."

"He is," I said. "He needs as much support as possible right now."

"You're that support?"