| Twenty-Five || The Coldness of Iago |

"You hooked up with Jax?" Mi Yun asked while me and my girls stood in our corner in the storage room

        "We only made out," I said with my voice quiet.

        "That's still hooking up," Sadaf made sure to remind me.

        "What's the threshold for hooking up?" I asked.

        "Making out," Sadaf said, listing off on her fingers, "petting, oral sex, going all the way..."

        "Physical contact," Mi Yun elaborated.

        "So cuddling is hooking up?"

        Mi Yun and Sadaf paused to think about it.

        "It doesn't matter," Mi Yun said. "You guys hooked up. We know that much."

        The bell rang, so we began putting our instruments together. "What're you going to do about Brice?" Sadaf asked.

         "Yeah," Mi Yun said, "I don't like the guy and all, but you have to think about him. How's this gonna work? If all three of you are into that polyamorous lifestyle, then you're good."

        I wrinkled my nose. I wasn't.

        I groaned. "Don't remind me."

        I avoided contacting Brice the whole weekend. Now, it was Monday. I had to face him in psych and then at lunch. Speaking of lunch, I also had to face Jax—in French, too. I didn't mind that. I was looking forward to seeing him, especially since he didn't contact me all of Sunday, despite me texting him. It was fine. He was probably just busy dealing with his dad and all the family drama.

        "You and Jax need to figure out what you want," Mi Yun said, "so you can stop wasting Brice's time or so you can stop wasting each other's time."

        "What you're saying makes logical sense," I agreed.

        "You're not being logical right now, are you?" Sadaf said, and I shook my head.

        Mi Yun walked over to wrap an arm around me as the three of us exited the storage room for class. "It's okay. We'll be the logical ones for you."

        This was why I needed my girls. Band went as normal, and I endured my other classes. When it was time for psychology, I slowed my pace in the hallway, and it took me longer to get to class. I was hoping the class would get filled up, and Brice and I wouldn't have to sit together, but when I entered the classroom, my gaze instantly locked with Brice's.

        He flashed me a dimpled smile. "Estella, over here." He removed his book bag from the seat beside him. "I saved you a seat."

        Of course, he did. As I made my way over to him, that small gesture made the guilt intensify. When I sat down, he maintained his smile.