Chapter One: Imagination Or Is It Real?

A werewolf howls, following trembling music that would leave you cowering under a pillow. And I was doing just that. No matter how many times I played this film over, it always got me - not scared? I'm not scared. No never. No lies. 100% truth.

"Scared?" My cousin, Tyler, laughed in my face.

"No!" I lie.

"Why are you pale then?"

"Because . . . it's flour?"

"How did you get flour on your face?"

"I was . . . cooking cookies?"

He raises one eyebrow. "Because there is nothing wrong with that statement," he mutters and turned his head back to the television, shaking his head meanwhile.

"What?" I asked, confused.

He turns to me with this your-so-stupid-I-don't-even-want-to-be-in-the-same-room-as-you look on. "You don't ever go into the kitchen because you always mess up the recipe. Last time you thought the pepper was chocolate." He shivers at the memory.

In my defence, I argue, "well I'm sorry chocolate sprinkles and pepper look the same!"

He coughs. "They don't."

"Well back to the point, I was cooking cookies, I wanted to improve my skills!"

"Oh and one last thing, you don't cook cookies, you bake cookies," Tyler adds.

"Well . . . why did they put the word 'cook' in cookies, huh?" I defend myself, once again. I'm so stupid!

He just shakes his head, not wanting to go down that track. "Face it, you're scared. Your face isn't even pale anymore."

I don't bother trying to defend myself further. Besides, if I wasn't scared, what the hell am I doing under a pillow, with a pale face, looking obviously terrified?

~~~

Trying to sleep didn't work that night. Giant, terrifying werewolves kept creeping into my mind when I was almost asleep. I had my blankets over my head, although it was only a light weight blanket that you may as well call a sheet. It was too hot for anything warmer. I closed my eyes, waiting for sleep to come. Although it didn't. Only because I can't sleep on my back. I open my eyes only to find two red eyes staring at me through the blankets. I freeze in place and stare at the red eyes with my blue eyes. I swallow a scream, not wanting to wake my mother and cousins. If they wake and come into my room, I will probably find out it's just my imagination and everyone will be angry at me for waking them up.

It's just my imagination.

I close my eyes and open them again. The red eyes were long gone by then. This allowed me to breathe once more. Roll onto my side but before I close my eyes, I hear a soft noise coming from my bedroom door.

Tap, tap, tap.

I look at the shadow on my wall, my jaw dropping when I see who is tapping - the creature with the red eyes. It's a Werewolf!

Or at least that's what I thought.

"Tricked you Laura!" A voice cackled with laughter, "your face was priceless!"