Chapter Thirty-Eight: Mind Speech

It wasn't till just after Christmas - which I didn't get to spend with any of my friends apart from family, mind you - it was announced that grandpa had died. It wasn't a painful death apparently. There wasn't a funeral - grandpa always told us to live in the present and not past. I did what he would want me too, live now, don't worry about the past, the past is the past and there's no changing it.

It was nighttime and Balto was leading me to the resistance because I still don't know how to get there. I was just going over to wish everyone a Merry Christmas really. It was a boring run to the resistance. Well most of it was. When you got into the mountains it was beautiful. Timber told me how the resistance had trees growing underground one time. He told me the real land was actually the den. The ground above the den wasn't there. But the resistance needed somewhere to hide, so they grew trees on other trees. As much as it seems impossible, it wasn't. Just a little bit of my fathers magic and boom there was an underground society.

Yeah, my father had the power over architecture.

As I was running, I felt a weird feeling in my head. It didn't exactly hurt but it didn't exactly feel . . . normal. It goes away and I just shrug it off.

It comes back though. Except it's a bit different. It's like I can almost hear something. Like before, it goes away.

I run for another minute when I hear this:

[Come to the resistance as fast as you can! There no time to explain, just come!]

It was like a voice in my head. It sounded very similar to Jordan's voice.

I decided the only thing to do is ask Balto.

"Balto..." I drag out his name to catch his attention. When I get it, I voice my question, "there was this strange voice in my head that sounded a lot like Jordan."

"Mind speech," he says, making me tilt my head, "it allows you to communicate with another shifter if they are near. What did Jordan say?"

"He told me to get to the resistance as soon as possible," I answer. I was going at Balto's pace because if I went faster I would loose him and I would get lost. "Is it just straight ahead from here?"

"Yes."

"Ok, meet you there," I said in one breath then speed up.

What was wrong?