Chapter Twenty-Eight: In The Hospital

"Charlie told me you have to take me home again and apparently stay the night," I inform Shane and I roll my eyes. Charlie wouldn't be able to come home tonight. "Is that ok with you?"

"Yeah, it will be nice to have some company finally," he replies, "my parents are on a business trip."

Something made me doubt that, as of the way he said 'finally'.

"Ok," I say, "you can sleep in the bedroom Charlie usually sleeps in. I will change the blankets if you want."

"No it's fine," he says.

We walk to his car and get in. We drive to my house and I tell Shane to park his car in the garage. I look under the door mat and grab the key. I know, my mums not very original. I open up the door and let Shane in.

"Frozen pizza for dinner," I announce after looking in the fridge and freezer.

"That's fine," Shane says. He seems a little on edge.

"Make yourself at home. It's fine," I say. I put the pizza in the oven and go sit on the couch while I wait.

"Are you ok?" I ask Shane.

"Yeah, fine," he says, looking up.

"You keep saying fine but you don't seem fine," I say, empathising 'fine'.

"Oh," he says, "I'm sorry if I'm making you feel concerned about me."

"It's alright," I reassure him.

Till seven o'clock we eat pizza and watch movies. We are half way through a movie I get a call from mum. Which is strange because mum has hardly ever called me at night since Charlie started looking after me.

"Hello?" I say through the phone.

"Laura! You should come straight the hospital," she pauses then says in a lower tone, "your grandfather has had a heart attack."

My heart dropped. "I'm coming mum!" I say quickly and hang up.

I turn to Shane, my eyes filling with tears, "we need to go to the hospital right now."

He didn't waste a minute asking me why, he just grabs his jacket and we hop in his car. He doesn't ask me why in the car. I think he just wants to give me some space. Which I'm happy he did that.

Mum and I had been really close to my fathers parents ever since my father left. We were like the sad family for a couple of months. We helped each other through our grief. We kept in touch closer ever since then.

"My grandfather had a heart attack," I told him after a while.

"I'm sorry to hear that," he said.

"What about your grandparents?" I ask.

"Both gone," Shane replies.

"Oh," I say, feeling a little bit more sad.

"I hardly knew them anyway," he adds.

I just nod and continue to look out the window. I feel his hand envelope around mine. He squeezes it gently, filling me with a little bit more hope. I turn and give him a small, sad smile. Shayden returns the sad smile.

We eventually reach the hospital and I hop out of the car. Shayden gets out too and takes my hand again, which I'm really happy he did. I ask a lady who works there where my grandfather is and I get directions to his room. Shayden waits outside and I walk into his room. I see mum and grandma at his bedside.

"Is he ok?" I ask.

Like the honest person in my mother is she answers truthfully, "no."

I feel the tears coming again. I sit down by my grandfathers bedside too. I sit there till eight-thirty.

"Darling, you should go home," mum orders, taking me outside the room.

"Who's this?" She asks me at the sight of Shayden.

"My friend," I answer, with a rare smile. Without him, I wouldn't be here.

Shayden looks uncomfortable, "uh yeah, friend."

"Well you take Laura home safely," my mother says, empathising 'safely'. "And don't you dare try anything with my daughter or I will track you down."

Shayden gulps and blushes crimson red

"Mum!" I squeak, my cheeks blushing.

"It still stands," she says seriously and firmly and leaves the hall, leaving Shayden and I in an awkward silence.

"Uh well, let's go," I say and we walk to the elevator.

We wait I the elevator for what seems like forever. I realise we have been in there for too long after a couple more seconds. Suddenly a hear what sounds like a loud speaker.

"THE ELEVATOR IS HAVING TECHNICAL DIFFICULTIES. WE ARE TRYING ARE BEST TO REPAIR IT. IT MAY BE A LONG WAIT."

It's not until then I realise it's a full moon tonight.

---

The next chapter will be better. Lots more drama. Or not...?

Will she get out before nine o'clock (when she turns into a wolf) or will she be forced to show Shayden her true self?

Asterix.