Chapter Sixteen: No Heart To Kill

Runaway.

That was my first thought.

I don't turn until nine o'clock I think. It was lights out at ten ... I think I need to go to the toilet.

It is five minutes to nine.

I tell Carla that I need to use the toilet and ask the teacher something. That should buy me some time, I hope.

I run straight for the woods. And then wait. And wait. I watch as my watch is about to strike nine o'clock. And then it does.

I start running to a place I have no idea where. But that's where the wolf is taking me. I feel myself slowly transforming as I run. A tail, sharper teeth, fur...

I stop on top of another rock like the last time and howl at the beautiful full moon. I jump off the jump and from there I am left to my own devices. I walk around for a bit, but stop when I see two large animals run through the trees. They were too fast and too far away now for me to go after them, but I curious to know what it was.

My stomach growls. I was too scared to eat raw meat yet but my stomach hurts. I could smell a stray rabbit off to the west. Would rabbit taste good?

My stomach growled again and that pushed me to go ... Kill it. Ok, I'm going to kill something. I run towards the smell of the rabbit, and try not to think about eating raw meat too much.

I crawl up to the rabbit, which is brown by the way, and I am about to kill it when it turns to me. I scream. It screams. We all scream.

"Oh my gosh!" I yell. "I'm hungry!" I add.

"Sammeee!" 'It' adds.

"You were going to be my dinner until I saw you have a life!" I yell.

"Ok...."

"I know right!" I say, still yelling. "I be going now!"

I runaway, and not look back.

I have no heart to kill.

~~~

When I came back to the tents at three o'clock at night, it was more strange and difficult then thought. First, I bumped into Shayden and Jordan.

"Shayden? Jordan?" I hiss.

"What?" The hiss back.

"What are you doing out here late?"

"Toilet." I answer with a lie. "And you?"

"Toilet."

"Right..." I trial off then suddenly realise something and whip around back to face them. "I didn't know boys went to the toilet in pairs..." I laugh. They look at me nervously. I turn around, and head back to my tent. Carla and besties, Hannah and Katie were asleep. Thank wolf.

I curl up in my covers, and fall asleep.