Chapter Thirty-Three: How It All Began

We run all the way to the resistance and go through the security system which I don't understand. While we were running there, I had informed Balto on my powers etc.

"Winter powers...hmm, that's unusual," he had wondered.

"Why?" I ask typically.

"You will find out," he replies and says nothing more.

Besides the past thirty minutes, we are now making our way to the resistance leaders personal campfire. The whole resistance were sitting or laying down around the fire. There was four new wolves sitting around the fire too. I should say shape shifters, not wolves though.

I instantly recognised Blitze, or if you prefer, Shayden. The other three wolves that were sitting around the campfire had different colours. One was coal black with dark red streaks. Another was just simply different shades of black with a very faint orange patch that resembled fire on the tip of its tail. A silver and white with a orange ring around eye was the last one. I was interested to meet the other three, meet some new people.

"Winter!" Medellion exclaimed, "come join us, the four other shape shifters are here."

I look at Shayden. He obviously recognises me, but he doesn't greet me or anything. He gives me a surprised look. I look at him sheepishly. I sit down between Balto and Medellion.

"So what are you doing here?" Medellion asks me.

"Well, in the end I guess I need answers," I begin slowly, "I have been one confused shape shifter for the two past weeks."

She gives off a little laugh then questions, "sure. I will introduce you to the other shape shifters soon, they just got back from their mission. They are going to need a rest. So, what do you want to know?"

The other shifters left to take a nap or something. I turn to the rest.

"Everything. Why am I like this? Who are the others? Why me? What is all this for? Why do the werewolves want world domination? How did werewolves...I don't know, become existent? What are shape shifters really?" I shoot a million questions.

"Well, shape shifters are a hybrid of human and wolf. They can shift between a human and a wolf. It's lycanthropy, you could say," she explains what I already knew.

"Yeah," I pause, "but how did we shape shifters become existent?"

"It's a longish story actually," Medellion nods. "Want to hear?"

I fight back from replying with a sarcastic remark and said instead, "sure."

"Ok. There was this scientist trying to see how to combine humans and other animals."

I cringed at this. That's just sick.

"He decided to start with human and wolf. The experiment went wrong in so many ways. The scientist created the werewolf. He messed up the experiment by using a cold blooded murderer as his test dummy. He decided to use the murder to give him a punishment for killing his daughter at the same time. The other mistake was making it on a red moon. The scientist kept trying though, over and over."

I gulp. Wow. Geez, people can be really sick. As in yucky sick not cool.

"This is where the shifters come in. The scientist tried again. This time he got a test subject with a pure heart. He did it in a blue moon and created a shape shifter. Meanwhile he was trying to keep the multiple werewolves he created contained but he couldn't. They killed the scientist. The shifter was angry for killing his master and he killed all but the first one the scientist created, he was too strong. He was the strongest. And he never stops living unless you kill him. Age doesn't kill them. Neither does it kill shape shifters."

What? So I'm fifteen forever? Please no. I didn't ask for this...please. I want to live up to at least twenty-one, I have always wanted to celebrate my twenty first.

Medellion must have seen the worry and my face and said, "don't worry, what I'm saying is that you age much slower. Werewolves age incredibly slow, and shape shifters, not as slow, but still much slower than a human,"

Thank worms.

Wait what?

Never mind.

"Then the war started. Your father — I mean the first shifter ever, was completely devoted to his creator. He vowed to kill every werewolf alive. Although he learned that not all are evil, some are innocent. They are being forced against their will to obey Lycan."

There's that name. Lycan. The Werewolf King.

"Lycan is the first werewolf ever created. The name came from the lycanthropy. Lycanthropy is the mythological ability or power of a human being to undergo transformation into a werewolf/wolf. In this case, not a myth. The first shifter made an army of wolves and tried making more shifters but only done could be made. The limit was four and you, well, will be the last. A lot of energy goes into making them and the shifter is getting weaker. And the Blue Moon is getting weaker."

I nodded and yawned, "you said before a shape shifter is a wolf and human hybrid. But I'm all three."

The leaders eyes practically all popped out.

"You..are..?" Arrow spluttered. I nodded.

"That's different," Blizzard speaks up.

"I thought your scent was too much like a werewolf, yet like a wolf. I wasn't sure wether to trust you or not," Balto speaks up.

"But how are you all three?" Phantom says, "we just guessed the first shifter came back and made you."

"Well it began on the last blue moon," I start. "It was late in the night when I heard the tapping. It wasn't until later I found out the tapping was the werewolves. They eventually found a way in the house and bit me on the neck-" I take deep a breath and show them the scar "- and they left after that. I didn't find out I was a shifter until the full moon after that and I didn't find out I had abilities to control the winter elements until I went to the beach."

Blizzard nods, "shifters hate the ocean. Actually they just hate salt altogether. All the way from table salt to ocean salt. It triggers their powers because they try to kind of kill it."

I laugh and turn to the others who are speechless. Medellion eventually speaks up, "I think you're different because . . . they bit you on a blue moon. Not a red moon. Also, you must have a good heart, not a cold heart. That was the werewolves big mistake, because they just created— well guys, I think we just found the most powerful being on the Earth. Aiden's daughter."

---

And I end the book with a cliffhanger!

Kidding. It's not the end if the book...yet.

I probably won't end the book with a cliffhanger, although there will probably be a second book...a sequel.

Asterix.