CHAPTER 3

Images of my stepfather beating me and his body melting in flames burdened me all night. I found myself a bit euphoric when I woke up with these thoughts, but I couldn't remember the dreams to well.

I got dressed and skipped downstairs in a black GAP shirt and some skinny blue jeans. My step mother scowled. "Kaya, you look disgraceful! We don't dress like poor commoners in this house. Go find a nice dress."

"Step mother-"

"Mother," she corrected, and I rolled my eyes.

"Well, I won't even live here by the end of the day. I don't want to take a nice dress then never wear it again. Besides, this is more comfortable."

She glared at me as I walked past, but I didn't turn around. I entered the kitchen and managed to eat some eggs next to my stepdad.

I ran upstairs and went into the bathroom to get ready and look at my new scars. I closed the door and took off my clothes and began to wash away the concealer. I really didn't want to get acne from this stuff.

I looked back into the bathroom, and I bit my lip nervously when I saw my hideous reflection. It was time to apply my sensitive skin concealer like I did every five days. I looked around for the can of the stuff, and my eyes landed on the small trash can.

There lie an empty container.

Oh no... Please no... This couldn't be happening. I dug through my drawers and boxes and cabinets. I had no more concealer!

They symbolized me perfectly me according to my stepfather even though he knew I hated them. Of course, they were made my step dad which wasn't exactly a plus, but I could deal with that, right?

I looked over and saw the doorknob twist, but thank god, the door automatically locked. "Carly, if that's you, you're gonna have to wait," I said.

"It isn't Carly," my step father's voice came from the other side, and I felt my blood run cold.

"Oh, hold on a second," I said and put my clothes back on really quickly. I opened the door, and he walked in closing it behind him. I backed away feeling extremely and tried to ignore the anxiety crawling down my spine. "Well, um, what do you want, s-sir?"

He scowled then took a deep breath. "When you go back to that orphanage, you will regret it. That orphanage has gotten worse since you left and guess what, I think any boy there wouldn't mind taking advantage of a little thing like you. You won't be able to use your snarky comments to get away, and I won't be there to help you, Kaya. I do plan on getting someone to adopt you eventually, but I'll let you realize how it feels to be alone for a while."

He ran his fingers through my hair, and I looked away. I was ready to leave. "You can't even run away from me Kaya. If someone gets you in a situation like this, what would you possibly do?"

"I can take care of myself. Anyway, someone may adopt me..." I said, and he grinned, looking as sly as usual. I felt my eyebrows furrow as I looked away. God, I hated him.

"Kaya, we both know that no one would want a child as hideous as you. I am really the only one who cares about you. You'll find out soon enough."

Did he really think I couldn't take care of myself? I had already learned about bad guys the hard way at the orphanage and while I was living here. They were a bit terrifying, but it was better than being here.

He exited, and I realized I was shaking. I walked out of the bathroom and put my hood on hoping to hide some of my scars. When my step mother gasped, I knew I had failed.

Her fingers ran across the scar that marked my eye, and I winced doing my best to display discomfort.

"It's so long and ugly," she whispered, and my eyes wondered to the ground.