CHAPTER 18

You never believe how much could happen in six days. Sally instantly heard the word birthday and ran down the stairs, "Your birthday soon! I can't wait!" She said excitedly.

I guess it would be nice to have a decent birthday. I wonder how a kid that had been raised right would react to their birthday being soon because I honestly didn't know why they were so excited.

To be honest, I felt kind of embarrassed for my birthday being soon. I'd turn twelve, and I'd be one year from being a teenager. Also, it made me feel childish.

The timing was strange. I was just revived, and my StepDad probably couldn't help but show up.

"Yeah, yeah, my birthday's soon." I said and rolled my eyes. Sally's eyes shined brightly, and I knew that she'd probably torture me.

"What are you gonna do for it?" she asked.

"Dunno, probably nothing." I said and toyed with my hands. Would not get beaten be something? I knew that was something I always wanted... To not get beaten extra hard on my birthday because that was my stepfather's way of celebrating...

"Kaya, it's gonna be your birthday with us. Of course, you aren't doing nothing," Slenderman said sounding slightly appauled by statement.

"I thought you'd say that. I don't know what people really do for birthdays. . . Except at the orphanage, but even I could tell that those birthdays sucked. People practically dreaded them," I said.

"Exactly, and you're gonna be a preteen, so you must have a birthday party," Sally said.

I grinned and felt goosebumps appear on my skin from blushing. Aww, they really cared about me.

"Hm... I guess so," I muttered.

"Yes!" Sally exlaimed, then grabbed my hand and dragged me upstairs.

+++

"I can't wait for your birthday Kaya! It's gonna be awesome. The only thing in all history that will defy science," Sally said.

We were sitting on her huge pink fluffy bed. Both of us in a position she calls "criss cross apple sauce."

"Actually, a couple of things do defy science." Ben said coming in with Jeff behind him. "What are you two doing here?" Sally asked.

"We like ease dropping on you two." Jeff said.

"Hm, well what's something that defies science." Sally said crossing her arms.

"Laughing." Jeff said.

"Blushing." Ben added.

"Crying," I said thinking about some old memories.

"Art," Smile said from under the bed.

"Dreams!" Sally added sounding excited.

"Growing hair in private places," Eyeless Jack said coming in making everyone blush.

"We don't talk about that." Jeff snapped and Eyeless Jack chuckled.

"Whatever," he said.

"You sound like you just had to many kidneys." Jeff said.

I held my hands together to keep from punching Jeff. Didn't he realize that that joke relates to my horrid origin?

Eyeless Jack leaned against the wall. "Are you all going to get her a present? Also, Kaya's gonna be a preteen. Teens defy science. Even humans closest relatives, the primates, go from kid to adult. There is no teenage stage," he said. "Actually..."

Everyone groaned before he could go into one of his long factual speeches. "Anyway, everyone's gonna get her a gift, right?" Smile said as he came from under the bed.

"Gift?" I said curiously. My stepsisters and stepbrothers got presents on Christmas and their birthdays. I never did though. I wondered what it was like, and I always resented them for it. I'd give myself a gift to make up for it though which I guess was the ultimate version of forever alone...

"You've never gotten a gift?" Sally asked.

"Ugh, not really," I said.

"Well, you're missing out," Ben exclaimed.

"Well, what have you guys gotten since you moved in this mansion?" I snapped at him. 

"I got a decoder, hard drive, a lot of game systems, computers, and phones with a lot more stuff, but there are to many to name," Ben said.

"I got some teddy bears, makeup, dresses, paint, hair products, a hair curler, lots of toys, and a million other things," Sally said with a grin.

"I got a knife sharpener, eye drops, a sleeping mask, converse, and... Stuff," Jeff said flatly.

"I got a dictionary, atlas, an Encyclopedia collection, a lot of books, and you get the point..." Eyeless Jack said and everyone in the room rolled their eyes.

We all looked at Smile. "I got red fur, my teeth sharpened. a collection of meat that will last forever, a collection of music, and some other stuff." He said.

"You listen to music?" Almost everyone said in unison except Jeff.

"That dog does a lot of stuff," he muttered.

"Someone gave you red fur." I said. "Yeah, a dog isn't just born with red hair. I used to be a husky." He said.

"Okay..." I said trying to imagine him as a husky. Well, I couldn't.

"Can we all take a walk through the woods without Uncle Slendy? We haven't had one in a long time," Sally asked.

Her question was totally random, but it wasn't at the same time. I guess we all hadn't hung out in a long time. I also understood why she didn't want Slenderman to come. It was because we were all "young." He was...

How many centuries old?

"The correct term is sneak out." Eyeless Jack said, and Sally stuck her tongue at him.

I noticed how he didn't ever to react to facial expressions. "Eyeless Jack, are you blind?" I asked.

"No... I can see with no eyes," he said in the most sarcastic voice ever.

"Slenderman can see," I said.

"We lived with you for how long, and we never knew you were... Man, you really know how to use your other senses." Ben said.

Sally rolled her eyes, opened her window, and began climbing down.

Of course, we all followed her. We're in the Under Realm where creatures roam, and we followed her. None of us even had weapons because we're so smart.

Of course, Eyeless Jack isn't gonna be intelligent this one time!

Into the woods we go!