CHAPTER 24

Kaya's POV

My eyes are watery. I think it's because of the dust. I feel dizzy. I could hear my Stepdad's footsteps.

Oh, I am such an idiot. I was going to die in here, and I would probably do something dumb in the process. I can't even eat candy down here. At least Sally is okay even if I am not.

"What did you tell her make her leave?" My Dad growled and grabbed a fistful of my shirt and held me up.

Really? He doesn't know what?

"Um, I told her that you don't allow me to eat desserts." I said sarcastically. He kneed me in the stomach and leaned against the wall while shaking his head.

"You've become a handful Kaya." My Dad said. it didn't sound like he was talking to me. He just stood there muttering. This would be really stupid. I was less of a handful than before. I could take care of myself. Why didn't he understand that I hated him?

What the heck was wrong with him?

"You need something to eat, don't you?" He asked. I almost said no, but my stomach growled and I shut my mouth. "Well, you can earn something to eat if you learn to show respect." He spat then walked out.

Show respect? He wants me to show respect for him? He must be like... Dead. I'd prefer to starve to death than ever show respect for him. I most likely would. He walked back in with a bowl of oat meal and set it just out of my reach.

I stared at it then realized that I was shaking. I knew what he wanted me to say. I would never show respect to him though. I laid back against the wall and closed my eyes.

It's kind of funny. I'm still afraid of the dentist more than I'm afraid of basements or dungeons. I know. You can call me weird. I wouldn't be ashamed.

I hate it in here. It's gonna drive me insane. Well, it'll drive me more insane at least.

Perhaps, if I bang my head on the wall enough time, I'll die.

I laid down on the blood filled carpet. It felt good. I wanted to just go to sleep right here.

***

Four days until my birthday.

I woke up to the smell of food. It smelled good.

I sat up and saw a plate of food. It was eggs and bacon. It was out of my reach.

I had been sleeping in a puddle of my own blood. Blood dripped off the ends of my hair.

At least I had stopped bleeding.

"You awake, Sunshine?" My Stepdad's honey-like voice went. I grunted.

"I'll take that as a yes. Do you want some food yet?" He asked.

The answer is yes, but I shook my head.

I noticed the stack of liquor bottles in the corner. My Stepdad didn't smell like liquor and all the bottles were full.

Well, he's sober. Maybe it's for him later.

He picked one up and opened it. He grabbed my hair and began trying to pour it in my mouth.

I kicked and managed small screams.

Here's the thing about me. I promised myself that I would never try anything with liquor ever. It was because I didn't want to be like my Dad.

I felt it to into my mouth. It burned, and it was disgusting. I felt like my lungs were on fire.

He continued pouring it in my mouth.

If I hadn't made Sally leave, he wouldn't have done this to either of us. I am more vulnerable with her gone.

I'm still glad she's gone.

"I know that drinks like these are four eighteen and older, but you start a lot of habits younger than most." He said.

I felt my eyes sting from the smell of the liquor and tears coming out. "Please stop." I said in between my sobs as he got another bottle.

Have I died and gone to hell already?