15; Cowards

Mavis' POV

The King had made his steps slow and continious as he approached Rosie. The crowd watched in atonishment. Rosie and King Mason. It's weird to think that his mate was right under his nose, if only he decided to look - and not to neglect his people.

Grins were all of the pack's faces, especially Alena who was whispering excitedly to her mate whom I was yet to meet formally.

Everyone was frozen. I swear you could hear a pin drop. I turned to my left where Ace was squirming in sorrow. I didn't mind. I wanted him to feel that way.

As everyone was distracted, I slipped out of the ball but not before smiling gently towards the new couple. I hoped them the best even though Rosie's mate was a bastard.

The halls were dead apart from the few rushing kitchen staff who were providing the ball with more food. It seemed as if the ball was getting more lively - no one would notice my disapearance.

It's strange how everyone admires the King and they all know the deeds he does to others. They know the anger he holds and the pain he creates. Is it because they're scared? Or do they honestly love this guy?

Or maybe they're just cowards. Too fearful of their own lives being put on the line. One life to save many is too much of a cost for them.

Maybe I am a coward. Maybe that's why I ignore my wolf. Maybe I don't want to hear her complaints about how she was given a worthless being on a human and that her previous companion was ten times better than I.

Or maybe I'm a human. A wolf who fears others yet conquers those emotions.

I am more human than I would ever be wolf. Rejection caused that.

Rejection broke down what little I scrapped of my wolf side. My wolf is almost not there anymore. I won't allow my wolf side to rise because I'm a coward.

We're all cowards.

But we're also warriors.

*

I'd gone to the Omega area of the pack house. It was extremely quiet and I knew that this was the time to speak to the girl.

I opened the door quickly and quietly - shifting myself into the crack in the door. It was exceedingly dark as my eyes adjuted to the change. There were candles in front of each door frame (there were no doors). I made my way down the stairs and moved through the corridor. The first few were small offices.

I soon made it to a bedroom room. I raised my eyebrow in surprise. The room were actually decent. I was staring through in shock at a room two girls were sleeping in. The walls were a beautiful cream colour along with two single beds and a desk. There were a couple dresses on the door frame with a note on them.

For the ball.

I looked further down the hallway. They all had different suits or dresses. My eyebrows furrowed and I frowned in confusion.

The ball had just happened yet none of them went but why would the King allow them to go? Aren't they considered the runt?

"They decided not to go." My heart jumped and I turned to see a man and woman. My eyes widened in surprise. There stood Prince Marcus and his mate. "They don't work on the weekends - members of the pack volunteer on the weekends."

My mouth gaped at the two of them. "I don't think I introduced myself last time." The girl spoke embarrassment was clear when Marcus wrap his arm around her waist. "Sorry." She coughed with a giggle. "I'm Red."