38; Mission

Third Person POV

Brett found himself stumbling through the forest, his leg being caught a few times leaving him frustrated as he shock away the stem. He was in a hurry. The air seemed to get tighter as he got closer to the castle and he knew soon enough a warrior would find him. He was ready for confrontation but he needed to find Mason.

His heart seemed to etch with worry for Mavis, feeling hopeless in the world of magic. Everything is always so risky. He couldn't get through the barrier and that barrier felt larger than it actually was. Brett knew this woman who claims to be her mother was keeping him from his girlfriend... his mate.

This made him aggressive. Angry. Hopeless.

He just wanted to reach out and save her from her destructive life. She just wanted a home. A family. And he knew that she had that with him.

He wished they'd never have gone to Raymon. Raymon enjoyed being on the winning side even if that was the wrong side.

Olive and Ren were following him. They were about - in reality - a two hour distance from him and he never thought to stop. No.

He carelessly continued with stomps throughout the scenery. His eyes glaring at every waving tree and occasionally he'd find himself sprinting towards the Royal pack. He'd be there soon. He was sure of it.

He'd been traveling for a while now, alone, and with no communication from Mavis. Although he knew he wouldn't be hearing from her in a while.

Soon he found himself at the border and by no surprise he found a wolf in a defensive position. A few other pack members good there as a somewhat backup but didn't look as ready as the guy in front.

His teeth appeared from his lip as he let out a rough growl. Brett held his hands up in defence. "Axel." A man spoke from behind the group of men.

Brett had realised that they didn't know his true name. Not yet anyway. Knowing that it wasn't the right time to bring it up, Brett continued with the charade.

"Marcus." Brett acknowledged. A cheeky smile had found itself on Brett's face.

"What are you doing here?" Marcus seethed. The recent events had left him confused and angry.

Rosie had told him what had happened. How Mavis had saved her yet he naively believed in some theory rather than the truth from Rosie's mouth. He was overall gutted and wanted to turn back time.

"I have a message." Brett started. He leaned against the tree beside him. "But I'll need to have a more private audience." He spoke looking around at the group of men.

"Let him through." Marcus commanded. His voice hoarse. "Now!" The men quickly stumbled up into a formation and dispersed among the trees. "Follow me." Marcus let his hand run through his head.

*

Soon the room consisted of Mason, Marcus, Red and Rosie. Those being the ones that Brett had asked to speak with. Marcus had a hunched on what this was about but wanted the words out of Brett's mouth.

"Speak." Mason spoke dryly. "I don't have much time."

"Neither do I." Brett stared at him, a deathly look sift through his face. "After you decided to exile Mavis, her and I made our way to the Golden Moon pack."

"You know where Mavis is?" Rosie asked hopefully. Brett held his hand up as to tell her to allow him to finish.

"We spoke with Jude and Layla about... Magic." He let the word roll off his tone softly. "...and Mavis's real mother." Silence was heard around the room. "We were lead to a certain pack though... The Dark Sun pack"

"Why the-" Red started.

"Are you dumb?" Rosie seethed. "Not only do they have control over three other packs but they are known about their ruthless actions."

"We had to go there." Brett confirmed. "I would've steered more clear if they hadn't gone without me and made me catch up with them." He explained.

"Who's them?" Red asked.

"Olive and Ren."

"They're okay?" Rosie questioned.

"Yeah, they're fine." Brett confirmed. "They should be arriving soon anyway."

"Where is Mavis then?" Rosie asked sternly.

"That's the thing. The Dark Sun pack have finally enough power to attack the Royal pack." Brett spoke.

"How?" Mason growled out.

"Through Mavis."

"Wha-?" Confusion etched on Mason's features.

"Her mother is this all-powerful witch or something - yeah. So she decided to teach Mavis how to use magic, although somewhere in the mix there was a link created. Her mother, Valencia her name is - I think -, can use Mavis's magic at her own free will."

"So Mavis has become a portable battery?" Red asked.

"Yes." Brett breathed. "No literally but, you know. She wanted me to warn you."

"They've got magic, huh?" Mason muttered. "I've got something stronger."