39; The Important Facts

Third Person's POV

Olive and Ren followed the footprints created by their determined friend, but they weren't going to follow him the whole way. No. They had another idea, one that may help straighten up the whole situation.

It was partially due to Ren that they were sent on this trek. He'd spent the weeks, unknown to all but Olive, in a fit of nightmares pointing him towards where he needed to go. They told him a pack name.

The Golden Moon pack.

Jude's pack. Although he didn't act on it before, he knew that now was the best time if any to get some facts straight. When they had originally arrived at the Golden Moon pack, Jude had told them valuable facts about where to find Mavis's mother but never showed the evidence, the facts that Olive and Ren are after.

They soon trekked off the passage that Brett had taken and started in the direction of the pack. By now Brett had reached the castle and spoke to Mason about the situation so the Golden Moon pack would've been told about the oncoming enemies.

*

A little while later they found themselves passing the perimeter of the pack - after being granted enterance - and storming into room of Jude and Layla. A baby was crying next to the window with Layla hover over her trying to calm her down. Jude was next to her belting out what seemed to be a nursery rhyme.

"Hey." Ren coughed catching the couples attention fromthe crying baby. "We need to talk to you guys."

*

Soon after the couple had settle their baby, they sat on the table opposite to Ren and Olive. Olive had previously been cooing over the little child and started to fantasise with Ren, but now, she was serious.

"What's up?" There was a nervousness with Jude that Olive had picked up. She subtley nudged Ren to get him to observe.

"Mavis is in trouble." Both their eyes wideneded and Layla let her hand hit the table lightly.

"What happened?" Fear etched her features as she took in Olive and Ren's faces.

Olive and Ren shared a look before turning towards the brunette. "You sent us to the Dark Sun pack to find Mavis's mother..." Olive started.

"Yeah?

Ren began to try and ease it in but Olive was quick to state her opinion. "You sent us to a crazy bitch who wants to take over the Royal Empire!" Olive screeched. "She using Mavis as a battery! A fucking magic battery!"

Jude hung his head. "Jude?" Layla noticed. "What are you doing? Did you know this would happen?"

"Sometimes knowledge can be power, but too much knowledge can be lethal." He spoke silently. He pulled up his sleeve and showed dark, black vein spiralling.

"Jude-?" Layla started with worry.

"I told you that the research was destroyed, but it wasn't. I read too much, too far and... I'm cursed."

"Cursed?" Olive questioned.

"Cursed." Jude confirmed.

"And what does this curse do?" Ren asked.

"The more I read, the more the posion grew." He admitted. "I'm going to die." He cried out and Layla instantly gripped onto him.

"Why didn't you tell me?" She muttered into his chest. "Why-?" She was crying and as much as Olive didn't want to interupt she had to.

"What does this have to do with Mavis?" She asked, Jude continued to rub circles on his mate's back and let some tears face down his face. He did oblige.

"I didn't read on." He confessed. "I read until the marks became visible and after I disregarded the warning. I think the next page was a warning, but I was scared."

"Do you still have the book?" Ren asked.

"Yes, but you can't read it!" Jude expressed.

"I'm not going to." Ren spoke. "But can I see it?"

Jude nodded and got up, releasing Layla from his grasp. Layla look up at him, tears falling down. "I have to get the book." He told her.

Layla got up after him and nodded, walking along side him. She wanted some space to think and she felt it was best to do that in her room.

Jude wondered back, alone, holding an old, leather book. It was smaller than they expected but seem quite trapped.

Ren grip onto it after it was placed onto the table and Olive looked over at him as if asking whether he was open it.

"I know this book." Ren announced.

"You do?" Jude asked, his eyebrows rose in surprise.

"Yeah." Ren spoke quietly. "My father read it." He shook his head as if to shake any visible emotion. "I know the next page."

"What?" Jude asked almost urgently.

"Balance. Everything has a balance." Ren echoed, feeling his father's voice echo out of his mouth. "Even magic.... especially magic."