Chapter 27: Curie

Sorry for being absent, I've just been like so overwhelmed....with typing and other stuff going on so posting will be random-- like here and there, again i'm sorry and thank you for reading. More is coming soon. <3

-----------

(time skip)

I wipe the sweating falling down my forehead. I just finished helping someone-- I had to use a blowtorch, and that thing made me sweat...a lot. I see MacCready behind me from a farther distance, helping the elderly couple in the cafeteria section. He's got a smile to his face-- probably a fake smile. Either way-- it's nice to see a smile, it kinda suites him...in a way. I don't really see him smile at all, only when he sees caps but that's a different sort of smile. He looks over and see's me looking at him, He shrugs his shoulders and mouth the words ' what?' I didn't know what to say-- so I just flipped him off. He smirks and flipping me off too without anyone seeing.

(Dweller)- " Thanks for your help, that is all for right now I suppose"

(y/n)- " No problem-- I was glad to help" I headed towards MacCready side grabbing a rag from my back pocket that they lend me. I clean my hands with it.

(MacCready)- " We all done here?"

(y/n)- " Yeah, I suppose so"

(Dweller)- " Did you hear-- poor Austin is in the clinic, heard he got infected by some mole rats"

I over hear these two vault dwellers talking about Austin. I wonder what happened to him, I hope he's okay. I look to MacCready and he already had a I-want-to-go-home look on his face.

(y/n)- " We have to stay and help him"

(MacCready)- " Alright, let's go check up on him" I'm surprised he said yes. We headed down to the clinic and there stood Dr. Forsythe, Dr. Penske and a scrawny, tall man.

They were in a middle of a conversation and they seem to be very upset. I didn't want to interrupt them but I had to.

(y/n)- " Uhh,...excuse me?"

(Dr.)- " You-- I don't have time to speak with you. Austin is hurt and we dont know how to treat him. He's been bitten by some diseased mole rats."

(y/n)- " Oh my..."

(Dr.)- " I must start looking for some way--"

(Dweller)- " Dr. Penske! I know what happened to Austin is my fault. He knew were my hideout was at-- I keep my things in there"

(Dr.)- " You mean your chems. Bobby De Luca-- what are you saying?"

(Bobby)- " Austin is hurt because of me-- he followed me to my hideout. Theres a whole other vault, theres more of it down there"

(Dr.)- "More to the vault? Oh my-- you, will you help my boy Austin?" turning to face me.

(y/n)- " I'd be glad to help"

(Dr.)- " I knew I can count on you. Bobby can you show them where this place is"

(Bobby)- " Yeah-- follow me"

I follow Bobby De Luca out of the clinic and back upstairs. He turns towards the right side leading us to a smaller room at the end of the vault. This must be where they have their generators of the vault. Going downstairs and behind the staircase-- there was a closed wall. There seems to be nothing down here.

(y/n)- " Where's the rest of the vault?"

(Bobby)- " Over here" he kicks the wall and it raises up, revealing a vault door. So that's how...

(MacCready)-" Alright-- get out of here kid, Lets us get to work" Bobby leaves, leaving MacCready and I. I look at him, he looked bothered-- annoyed even.

(MacCready)- " You going in or what?"

(y/n)- " After you" I moved aside letting him enter first

(MacCready)- " Hmm" he grunts.

When I entered in after him, the secret vault of 81-- was just deserted. It was covered in dirt, walls coming down. It gives me a bad feeling. Diseased mole rates are down here-- either one of us could get affected and then we're screwed. I let MacCready go first-- in case if we get ambushed by Mole rates-- he'll get taken first, making a way for me to escape. Going through this quiet....abandonded vault was just giving me flashbacks when I woke up by myself. Thinking about it-- just makes me feel sad, alone again. I bumped into MacCready's back-- he stopped walking.

(y/n)- " Shit"

(MacCready)- " Somethings moving up ahead"

I looked to the side of him-- something was moving in the dirt just ahead of us. Oh shit-- Ash....if only you were here. Wait.....what am I saying....This is a chance for me to prove that I can take care of myself-- prove that I can be the top dog with him and MacCready.

(MacCready)- " Watch it!" he pushes me on the ground.. A Giant mole rat jumps out from the ground. MacCready hits it with the stock of his rifle, killing it dead.

(y/n)- " Holy shit!"

(MacCready)- " Don't day dream"

(y/n)- " Sorry-- just, its creepy down here"

(MacCready)- " There's more of them moving around...I'll take care of it"

(time skip)

We made it passed some security turrets and more mole rats. I didn't have a weapon on hand but I improvised with a baseball bat that I found in a child's room. I was being useful to MacCready-- he was actually letting me defend myself, he didn't have to keep an eye on me. Just up ahead of us were these lockers....with flowers by them. Someone must have placed their bodies in lockers, substitute-- for coffins. As we drew closer to the locker coffins-- lab coats were on top of them. This was sad to see. MacCready taps my shoulder and points to a glass window, A robot-- a codsworth look-a-like was on the other side.

(Robot)- " Oh my..another stranger. Are you Vault-Tec security? I've waited so very paitently for you to arrive" Waiting....for... me?

(y/n)- " Who are you?"

(Robot)-" I am a contagions vulerability robotic infirmary engineer, or Curie as I was called....well at least when they were alive.. You never answered my question, I repeat are you Vault-Tec Security?"

(MacCready)- " Yes...yes we are" as MacCready was getting irritated

(y/n)- " The mole rates carry diseases..do you know anything about it?"

(Curie)- " Those poor little things. They were only used to grow new pathogens.The vault citizens would be exposed to these viruses in the hopes that they would develop new antibodies. One escaped, poor thing."

(MacCready)- " Cut to the chase"

(y/n)- " Relax. Now, Curie. Uhh....can you get out of the room please?"

(Curie)- " Yes, I'll unlock the door"

(y/n)- " That was easy" I entered the room to speak to the Curie, She must have been down here for quite some time. Poor her. I would have gone crazy down here by myself.

(Curie)- " Since you are a vault rep, I entrust you with the broad spectrum cure I developed"

(y/n)- " Hey-- that just might cure Austin"

(MacCready)- " It just might" Curie was talking more medical terms that I wasn't really paying much attention too. I was more into helping Austin and getting him back up on his feet.

(y/n)- " Can't wait to get the cure back to Austin"

(Curie)- " However, be advised, there is only one dose left, and I can no longer make any more"

(y/n)- " No more?"

(Curie)- " No more."

(y/n)- " Ah shit.....okay" Cure hands me the small syringe. This is the cure that will save Austin, Once I save him-- this will redeem that I am not a burden and that I can actually do something.

(Curie)- " I'll join you on your way out"