Chapter 58: Saving a Friend (part 2)

We got inside the prydwen, at the front of the ship was Maxson, looking out the windows to view the commonwealth. I had a bad feeling about this. I follow Ash going towards Elder Maxson, I look towards the seats-- MacCready was sitting there patiently. I got worried and I immediately approached him with my arms wide open. He stood up quickly to hold onto me.

(y/n)- " You okay?"

(MacCready)- " Yeah, I got pulled away while getting supplies. Thought something happened to you two."

(Ash)- " We're fine."

(y/n)- " Excuse me Elder Maxson?" he turns around, with a angry-- stance.

(Maxson)- " Is there aything you three wish to tell me?" I look to Ash and MacCready and they both look at each other in confusion.

(Ash)- " Sir?"

(Mason)- " Answer me, knight"

(Ash)- " Sir, we don't have anything to hide-- we're confused"

(Maxson)- " I find that very hard to believe. Proctor Quinlan completed the decryption of the data you retirived from the institute. A portion of his findings inculded a list of synths that went missing or escaped from their facility. After careful analysis of the information, we've discovered something....unprecedented. Paladin Danse is a perfect match for one of the synths on that list" What? Danse? A synth? that's ...no-- I don't believe it.

(Ash)- " What? This has to be a mistake?"

(Maxson)- " I'm afraid not. The evidence is quite damning. The data you brought back included a record of each subject's DNA. We keep the same informaiton for all of our soldiers. Paladins Danse's DNA is a perfect match for a synth they called "m7-97" To make matters worse, he's gone AWOL. Disappeared without a trace."

(y/n)- " What? He's gone?"

(Maxson)- " Correct. His sudden absence simply reinforces our conclusion that " M7-97" and paladin Danse are one in the same. "

(y/n)- " Elder Maxson, this has to be a mistake-- he cannot be a synth..I mean he's with The Brotherhood" Ash held his hand up.

(Maxson)- " I'm finding it difficult to believe that he never confided in you three and then swore you to secrecy"

(Ash)- " Sir, Paladin Danse never told us anything."

(Maxson)- " Hmm. I've decided to take you at your word. However, that doesnt absolve you of your duty. Danse is a synth. He represents everything we hate....a monstrosity of technology. Our mission in the commonwealth is clear. The institute and it's creation need to be destroyed--

(y/n)- " What're you saying, sir" I wanted him to get to the point.

(Ash)- " (y/n)...relax"

(Maxson)- "I'm ordering you three to hunt down Danse and execute him"

(y/n)- " What?!" Mason, no-- he's a member of The Brotherhood and a close friend to us-- there's no way.

(Maxson)- " Find him and take him out."

(y/n)- " No. There is no way we're doing that."

(MacCready)- " Woah, Woah, Woah. Didn't you hear what he said? The dude's a synth."

(y/n)- " That doesn't matter, he's our friend.I'm not gonna kill him"

(Ash)- " I'll do it"

(Maxson)- " Excellent knight, go find him and get this done.find Proctor Quinlan. He's been analyzing the data and should be able to provide you with a starting point. You're excused"