Eye Contact (Newt)

"So what exactly is that?" I asked carefully, pointing at the jar of amber liquid clutched between Alby's large hands

"So what exactly is that?" I asked carefully, pointing at the jar of amber liquid clutched between Alby's large hands. He looked at me, silently handing it over, a covered smile on his face. Intrigued, I took it, and - even though it was still a fourth of the way full - I downed the rest. It burned, but I liked it. It felt more familiar than anything I'd felt in the entire Glade so far - except for anything to do with me and Newt. But that was different. And I wouldn't think about that.

Nor would I think about how his large brown eyes were always warm and welcoming, like hot cocoa on a winter's day or a large sweater in Autumn. Or how his smile warmed my very soul, like I was drinking that hot cocoa or putting on that oh so warm sweater. Or how his arms were strong and when he wrapped them around me I felt safe and protected and every danger was gone, out of reach, and would never reach me. Or how -

Well I failed that.

"You look like you're carrying the weight of the world on your shoulders," Alby said. I'd grabbed another drink and downed that one too. I gave him a dark look and he whistled. "Shuck. That bad?"

"Just a bit," I grumbled.

"It's about Newt, isn't it?" I looked over at him, panicked, but he motioned me to calm down. "Don't worry. I won't tell him anything. It's just obvious."

"Really?" I groaned, closing my eyes. Alby nodded, chuckling. A moment passed.

Alby stood. "Come on. No more moping. Come dance." He offered his hand and I gave him a weak smile as I took it. He hauled me up and the two of us joined the small crowd around the fire that was jumping around to someone singing and playing a banjo off to the side. It was a weird thing that we got, the banjo. But it was nice, for times like these. I soon lost Alby in the crowd and I slipped to the edges.

We became one mass. One person. We moved as one. It was a weirdly exhilarating feeling.

Eyes were on me. I could feel them. I looked over and my gaze locked with Newt's. He blushed and looked away quickly. I brushed it off. He was probably drunk. I noticed the same amber liquid in his hand as what I'd been downing before. It was a warm night as well.

But then I felt it again. Someone watching me. And I caught him looking at me again. Then he looked away again. Later, I felt eyes on me once more. The cycle repeated again and again until I looked over at him, my eyes drawn as always, and HE caught ME looking. I smiled and he blushed more, smiling back.

Something passed between us. Something warmer and safer and better than his beautiful melted-milk-chocolate eyes or strong arms or wide smile. Something better than the kisses I'd imagined or the cuddles that awaited me in my dreams or the hand holding I'd yearned for. Something better than anything I'd ever imagined.

Something big.

I left the mass of dancers and went over to him. "Sorry to steal him, Thomas, but may I take Newt from you?" I asked softly. Thomas gave a closed lipped smile and nodded. I offered my hand to Newt and he took it. I pulled him up, as Alby had pulled me before.

Except he was closer than I had been to Alby. And our eyes were locked. And our breath mixed and our chests and arms and legs and stomachs brushed.

"Please don't make out in front of me please," Thomas groaned.

Smiling like a total idiot, I dragged Newt off. Away from everyone else.

Maybe it wasn't just SOMETHING. Maybe it was the ONE THING I'd been craving this whole time.