A Cure (Newtmas)(PART ONE)💜

A/n: THIS IS SO LONG HOLY CRAP I HOPE YOU LIKE IT!!

-

"WAIT!" My eyes were wide as I clung to my twin. The man actually paused, half turning to look at me. "Keep me with my brother," I begged. "He's special. You keep saying he's special. Let me see him, every once in a while. Please."

The man seemed surprised. He moved to me, hovering in a crouch in front of me. He looked between us. "Do you love your brother?" I nodded very seriously. "Good." He paused. "I like you. You're special too. Why don't you come with me?" I went to protest but he held up a hand. "I will raise you special just like we plan to raise the little one." He paused again. "Thomas." My brother and I exchanged looks. That was not his name. "I may even let you two see each other, if you're good. We'll see how this goes. Sound good?"

Returning my eyes to the older man, I nodded slowly. "Yes," I agreed. Maybe was better than no. "I will do anything for my brother. Even be obedient."

Appalled, my brother leaned away from me. "You're going to let them take me away?" He screeched.

Flinching, I took a second to remind myself he was just scared. I was the older twin, after all. I had fifteen whole minutes of life ahead of him. I'd always been the one to protect him. He was scared to loose that protection. It made sense. Be the bigger person. I turned to my little brother, grabbing his shoulders with each of my hands. "Stephen. Look at me." Finally he did. "It is VERY important that you are exactly yourself, okay? Don't be too much of a problem, but never forget who you are. You are my little brother. And I love you." His eyes starting watering. "No, no no. None of that. This isn't a goodbye." I wiped the salty insult away as it fell slowly down his cheek. "Steph, this is only a... temporary farewell. I'll see you again. Promise. Okay? Just be as good as you can without forgetting that you are, always have been, and always will be my most favorite and most loved little brother forever and always."

He nodded and I dropped my hands so that he could slam into me. We hugged each other tight and reassuring. "I love you too," he whispered. "Come back to me soon, okay?"

Forcing myself not to cry, I nodded. "Of course."

After a second, the man caught my eye and I nodded as he gave me a pointed look. It was time to go. I pushed the small child away from me. Man he was so tiny. Even for his age. I hoped he'd grow a bit more before he had to deal with other kids. I hoped I'd be there if he didn't and they were mean and he needed me. I kissed his forehead and a friendly woman with a warm smile took his hand, guiding him away. When he turned a panicked gaze at me, I shot him a reassuring grin, two thumbs up, and a nod. He forced himself to relax, returning back a shaky smile and a short nod. I watched him until the two turned a corner and he was gone.

Instantly my smile crumbled and my face twisted with worry and sadness. The man stepped up to me, his hand on my shoulder. "That was very brave of you. You're already showing incredible promise." I looked simply looked forward and stayed quiet. This man's opinion did not matter to me. "Come, child. I will put you with the boys." I looked up at him at this. "You won't do well with the other girls - or the distance from your brother it will mean. You will see him again. Keep this up, and I'll see just how far I can push this. Come on." Not fighting, I followed silently as he tugged me after him by the hold he had on my shoulder.

Something set in my stomach as I officially accepted this white walled prison as my new housing. Not home. My home was my brother. My Stephen. And I'd see him again, indeed. If it was the very last thing I did.

-

This wasn't going as well as Michael was hoping. John Michael was the man who had taken me under his wing since I'd first walked into this institute. He deemed me the most obedient and the most willing, but not the weakest willed. Simply the one with the most self control - even, as he so excitedly noticed, at my young age - and therefore the one he liked the most. He kept me with the other boys and gave me a new name. Ella. Based off of Helen Keller. Whoever that was. This is the name I gave to the other boys. To Minho and Alby and so on and so forth. To Gally, who was adorable and awkward and flirty. To Newt, who was as quiet and reserved as I was and therefore my instant best friend before he tried to introduce me to Minho, who I would eternally much rather avoid. He was too likable and I didn't have time for that.