Unimpressed (Paul)💜

Prompt: You've known Paul years, most of the relationship between you only passing teases and flirts. When you hear about the band The Beetles, you're doubtful - especially when you find out Paul is in it. One day you're dragged to a concert. You have to fight to keep up pretenses as you see Paul and his band in a new light - one, you must admit, you like.

-

"Hey Maniac," I greeted as none other than the smirking Paul McCartney walked up to me, leaning against the locker next to mine. I'd seen him around plenty of times - we were both stuck in the same small town we'd always been, it was hard not to at least know of each other - but I really didn't know him well. We jokingly flirted. Teased. Usually just in passing. The fact that he'd stopped to actually talk to me was a rarity I quite enjoyed. Maybe, just maybe, I had a crush on the older boy. That was a big maybe.

Paul grinned. "Hey, Psycho."

The Maniac and Psycho thing was a joke from many years ago, during one Halloween. He'd gotten drunk and gone around screaming random words at people, his usual better judgement too fuzzy to stop him from rejecting the stupid dare he'd been given. He'd gotten everyone else to jump or scream but when he'd done it to me, I had looked up slowly with a straight face and whispered a now famous phrase: 'You're a bloody maniac.' Due to my lack of a real reaction and the bloody chainsaw murderer costume I was wearing, he'd mumbled back, 'And you're a psycho.'

The names had stuck.

Facing him, I tilted my head. "What do you wish for today, McCartney?"

Keeping that wide smile, he shrugged with overly faked casualness. "What are you doing this weekend?"

My stomach jumped and my confident smirk wavered. Was he... was he asking me out? Holy crap. Oh my gosh. Stay calm stay calm stay calm. Don't blush. Um. Ah. "I'd have to check for sure," I managed smoothly, sounding far more at ease than I felt. I managed it every time and it never failed to be impressive. Seven with how weird he made me feel and how out of control I was inside, I could remain cool where he could see it. I- I think. "Why do you ask?"

He bit his lip and my fingers twitched. "Well... there's this performance thing happening at the diner. Not too big a deal. I think you'd like it." He watched my face, looking for a reaction. Because of this, I tried even harder to keep my cool.

Before I could respond, my friend Maimree sidled up with me, her smirk wide and her eyes bouncing between me and Paul - lingering on Paul, to my annoyance - and her arms crossed. "Hey there, Paul." Almost begrudgingly, Paul looked back at her, smiling politely and nodding in greeting. "I'm sorry to bother you two but I really need my best friend right now." She scrunched her nose and both me and Paul frowned.

Always the polite gentlemen, though, Paul nodded again, looking at me. His face lightened a bit, more a friendly smile than the cocky, flirty smirk I was used to seeing. "I'll see you around? 6:00. This weekend. Saturday."

I nodded. "Maybe you will, maybe you won't." I smiled back and he gave one light, amused huff through his nose before he did a little wave in farewell and then turned, leaving. I turned to Mainree, flaring. "What the bloody hell?"

She only laughed. "Yeah yeah you like him and he was talking to you. But I have something important to tell you about and if you really want to talk to him, then just go up to him any school day and talk to him. He doesn't have to come to you."

Waving my hand through the air to dismiss the words I didn't want to hear, I rolled my eyes. "What have you interrupted my love life for?" I snapped playfully. Only bad things could happen between me and Paul McCartney, but I wanted every one of them. It seemed that would have to wait though, as I was a coward and Maimree was requiring my attention.