My Sister? Really? (Paul)💜

"She's.... she's what?" The younger girl asked, her mouth opening and closing, lost for words, like a fish out of water. John stood in front of her, his face angry and hurt and his eyes so focused on his own pain, blocked by the red hot anger inside, that he could not see the effect of the words he'd told her moments before.

"She's gone!" John seethed. Then he turned, gone, leaving his younger sister all alone.

Y/n didn't really notice. She plopped into a seat, her eyes glazing over and her body stilling, her shoulders dropped and sagging. Everything seemed to blur. Yes, John had lost his mother too, but even when she'd left him when they were younger, she'd taken Y/n. It had caused a drift between them at first but when John realized all the things she'd went through, being there with their mother, he did not envy her. There was no question that her lot was worse than his. On the other hand, he still wished his mother could have taken him, stuck on the idea that if he'd been there, things would have been different. Besides even that, though, it didn't matter, because the three of them made a wonderful little family. Y/n could calm him like no one could, and a single word or look, or even a touch could soothe him. His little sister had an effect on him not even his birth mother did. So they all got along. Not to mention the way that Mr. Paul McCarthy made Y/n very happy, and so the four of them, Y/n and Paul being quite close, and Paul and John being like brothers, they were all close. This didn't help John's jealously, but everything had turned out well in the end. John and his mother were even starting to get along. To get to know each other. He was starting to really understand his sister and love and protect her, as before he'd really left her to fend for herself... But they were working it out.

Now she was dead. Now his mother was gone.

After all the years where the only thing that kept Y/n going was knowing that her mother had kept her, loved her, and later on, John joining their little family and being the big brother she'd always yearned for... It was all gone. Without their mother, John didn't care about her, and that might have been what hurt the most. Not even that the only person in Y/n's life who'd loved her unconditionally was now dead, but that her strong big brother, her protector, had ditched her when she needed him most.

So it all blurred by.

Suddenly they were all at the funeral and Paul was besides her, strumming his guitar, looking from the instrument to her face, trying to get a response from her. What finally knocked her from her daze was when John was suddenly in the room, screaming and yelling, scaring Y/n shitless as her past hardships made her sensitive to anger- especially when she was already feeling terrible. When John saw the look on her face, his skin lost color as he realized how she was feeling and what she was thinking. She was afraid of him. Suddenly he ran out of the room, and Paul ran after him. Y/n shot to her feet and followed, too terrified for the blonde to stay still.

Just as she got outside she saw the two boys. Paul looked at her wide yes in the doorway and paused, but then met John's eyes again, square, with no pause or hesitation. "Come on then," he encouraged. What he was encouraging Y/n had yet to find out. There was time only for Y/n to breathe in before - BAM!

Flinching and catching her breath in her float, Y/n's instincts kicked in and all she could see was her mother on the floor, covered in blood. She blinked and there was Paul and John again. She shook her head and raced to Paul's side, making sure he was okay and helping him up. Blood. Oh god her childhood really sucked, didn't it? She didn't even have time to look at her brother before there was a shocked, "I'm sorry," and Paul was pulled to his feet, into a tight hug, by John. Y/n just sat down on the dirty floor, no longer able to take the fast mood swings of John Lennon and the conflicting emotions she herself was dealing with.

Heavy breathing came from John and Y/n looked up. "I was just getting to know her," He managed.

"I know," Paul soothed softly. The chemistry between the boys shocked Y/n. She was happy for it, but shocked. She didn't know why she was shocked... Maybe she just didn't understand boys as much as she thought she did. She was happy that John had someone besides her and her mother, though. A rock to hold on to in the chaos besides what the one he'd just lost. "I know," Paul repeated again.