Chapter 2: Hell

Third person

When God told Jackson he was banished to rule hell he didn't see a problem with it. He was going to rule over the dammed. Jackson -who would now become to be known as Satan, Lucifer, etc.- was basically getting his own kingdom to rule over.

"As you wish." He replied to the holy man before him.

God was honestly surprised by his soon to be ex-angel's response. He thought Jackson was just meddlesome and had a good heart under his cold exterior, but that wasn't the case. God had just hopped this was a simple case of rebellion that would be resolved with compromise, but with Jackson's reaction it was clear that there would be no compromise.

"Jackson, are you sure you want to do this? Hell is a dark place; the sinners are to be punished and demons are to be put in place. Are you positive you can do that?" God asked, not being sure himself that Jackson would be capable of it.

"Have some confidence with my abilities, God. I can take responsibility. If I'm truly banished, then I'll be leaving now." He spoke calmly, yet with a sick and twisted tone, giving him the slight glimmer of insanity that not many were aware of.

God sighed and gestured for him to leave, needing to ponder about the decision he just made, for it may have just been the absolute worst one ever made. Jackson had a sick, twisted, sadistic nature. It would give him no trouble torturing the souls of sinners, even the few children that were sent to the depths of hell.

For many years there had been no one to rule in hell. God figured if he rewarded the good, burning for eternity would be enough punishment for sinners. But now that this ex-angel was in charge, things were going to be a lot worse.

Jackson could now watch anyone he wanted to, at any time of any day. He could learn their greatest fears and weaknesses to make their punishments actually mean something. But just because he wanted to make hell more painful didn't mean he wanted people to hate it. He figured it should be similar to prison; you get there, serve your sentence, then go back to your normal life; or in this case, afterlife.

After looking around for a bit, he realized that hell was just screams of agony. He had to change things around. Supernatural abilities made this easy and all changes were done almost immediately.

There were infinite rooms for torture called Fear Rooms and places to go for after you serve your sentence; mostly bars for drinks and mischievous fun. Now things seemed more, not exactly nice, but livable, as ironic as that was.

The residents didn't mind the changes at all, instead they enjoyed them. People could drink and smoke without consequence and break the rules as much as they wanted. There were a few people who didn't take part in these activities, but they were the quiet ones that didn't particularly belong in hell anyway.

But even with hell being better than it was before, there were still blood curdling screams filling the air no matter how hard you tried to block them out. This was the realm of neverending torture after all, it couldn't just be silent.

With time the screams simply became part of the ambiance, blending into other noises, almost like they were just in the background. It was almost similar to the sound of ocean waves on a CD while someone slept; eventually they're just blocked out.

Soon enough God found out of these changes via Gabe, who would ferry the dead into heaven or hell. He couldn't say he was particularly happy about it, but if this got Jackson to change, then so be it.

What no one knew at the time is that Jackson wouldn't change. This "punishment" wouldn't adjust his attitude or actions. He wouldn't be different at all.