Chapter 7: Talking

Third person

The two sat down on a park bench. It was eerily silent now, making the situation slightly awkward. Paisley was shy and couldnt exactly find the right words, while Jackson was trying to think of a believable lie to explain himself.

"I thought you weren't allowed in town..." She said softly, her gaze on the ground.

"I'm not supposed to be... But I wanted to see you..." He replied, his tone giving no clues to the emotions he was actually feeling.

The girl wasn't sure how to respond. Jackson had come back for her. Not anyone else, just her. It made Paisley feel special but also flustered her a bit. Relationships were a subject that neither of them had a strong suit in.

"I'm sorry that I've been gone for a while. My work requires I be somewhere else practically all day and night. That night was a rare occasion when I had some time to myself..." Lucifer explained, hoping Paisley wouldn't question his story.

"Oh... Okay... I'm a college student, so I'm pretty busy myself... My friend just dragged me out to that party so she wouldn't be alone. I didn't really want to be there... But, um... I'm kinda glad I was..."

Jackson sighed softly. Paisley was very sweet and pretty, but he wasn't sure how to make a relationship with a mortal, or any kind, work. He only ever broke hearts, not made them happy. He was going to end up hurting her, that was inevitable.

"I'm sorry Paisley... I'm not sure how to... Be in a relationship... I'm not even sure I have the time, with work and all... I don't mean to hurt or disappoint you, but I have no idea what I'm doing here..." He apologized, twisting the ring on his middle finger with his thumb out of habit.

She took a minute to process his apology, finding it unfair and just another way to reject her. It seemed she had been rejected for the longest time, now all she wanted was for someone to love her. Maybe Jackson wasn't the one who was supposed to love her, but he was the one she wanted.

"I don't care. I can teach you how to be in a relationship. We can talk on weekends or a simple phone call or something like that. Aren't you willing to try? I mean, a lot of people say it's food for couples to have space between them, that could be a good thing for us. It doesn't particularly hurt that you don't know what you're doing, but it would hurt if you wouldn't even consider trying. Every relationship is difficult... We would just have to make it work... Can't we at least try...?" Paisley argued, seeing that trying would be better than just giving up any hope for this relationship.

"I would be willing to try... But there's a lot of things you can't know about me that could get you hurt... I wouldn't want you to be hurt because of me... I would like a relationship with you, truly I would, but I believe there are just too many factors that try to forbid it. Perhaps if things were different then we could, but for the time being I'm not so sure it's a good idea..." Jackson replied with a sigh, realizing this conversation wasn't going too well.

"I don't care if I get hurt. Part of being in a relationship is compromise. If I got hurt it would be for you, because I want to be with you. A dumb job shouldn't affect your ability to be happy, so put it aside and focus on what you want. And if you do want me like you say, then go ahead. You can have me."

He sighed and pulled her close. She was right, he could put aside his work, slack a bit more if he had to, but he couldn't always be there. But for now it seemed pretty good.