Chapter 8: A Walk

Third person

The two left the park shortly after that, deciding to go to a cafe. Paisley had to fight Jackson on a relationship, but was happy she did. Now she only had to worry about one thing, but that would be for a future time.

They sat down at a small table in the corner, away from everyone else. Paisley didn't like to draw attention and Jackson didn't need the attention from any other mortal anymore. Of course that didn't stop people from glancing occasionally at the demon in their presence.

Paisley had a vanilla latte while Jackson had coffee with just some cream. It was kind of a quiet date, but that didn't mean that Paisley didn't enjoy. She just liked to have Jackson around her.

Jackson however was worried about this whole situation. Paisley wasn't going to be safe with him near. Demons could find her and torture her at home; taunting and trying to push her over the edge. He didn't want that to happen, but he also couldn't let anyone know about his mortal lover.

The thing was, he wasn't allowed to love. It was simply just one of the rules of being Satan. It didn't mean he couldn't love, just that he wasn't allowed to be in relationships; basically he wasn't allowed to be happy. It was his eternal punishment for being Satan. If he had to torture others, his torture would be loneliness.

He sighed softly and drank his coffee. But Paisley noticed there was something wrong with this scenario. It was very quiet, like everyone in the room had stopped talking. It was very strange. Everyone seemed to be staring at their table, like they were in some kind of induced hypnotic state.

"Jackson, maybe we should leave... It's um... Kinda awkwardly quiet here now..." Paisley said softly, trying not to break the awkward silence herself.

Satan looked around the room and noticed everyone. He sighed, realizing that his demons were getting close. They liked to influence the things around him, but hopefully they hadn't noticed Paisley.

"You're right, we should leave." He said, taking her hand and pulling her out with him.

The two walked for a bit, having small talk about interests and family, even though technically Jackson never had one. They were getting along quite nicely, considering their differences. Perhaps it was because they simply were meant to be, or maybe it was something else. That would be determined at a later time.

They walked around town for a while, just observing the various places to go. There wasn't too much to do, but it was a nice day and they didn't have to talk to enjoy it. There was enough discussion today as it is, so it was peaceful enough to just enjoy the scenery.

It was nearly sunset by the time they had made it back to Paisley's apartment. The two had spent nearly the whole day together and it was quite enjoyable. They really enjoyed each other's company and Paisley just wished for Jackson to be around more often.

"Do you have to leave? I mean... I know you have work and everything, but can't you stay for a little while? Or even the night?" Paisley asked hopefully, thinking maybe he could have another night off.

Jackson thought for a moment. He had demons for torturing the dammed, and it wasn't like he did much more, in hell. He could stay the night if he wanted to and just leave in the morning. Perhaps he would be able to spend more time with Paisley after all.

"I suppose I could stay for the night, but I would have to leave in the morning." Jackson replied, giving her the answer she hopped for.

She hugged him tightly and made a cute sound of joy. She was happy to be around Jackson, so having him, even if it was only just got the night, made her extremely happy. Perhaps this could work after all.