Chapter 21: A Birth And A Death

Third person

Over the nine months Paisley carried the child it had drained her of nearly all her life. She was practically anorexic and was beginning to wilt like a dying flower. She wouldn't last too much longer.

It had pained Jackson to see her shrivel and waste away right in front of him, but there was nothing he could do about it. He couldn't save her, he couldn't prevent her from dying. There was nothing he could do to save her. The only thing he could do was make the last of her time on Earth comfortable.

Jackson was now constantly on Earth. He had his torture rooms running and had his demons supervising, rather than doing it himself. He couldn't allow himself to be away from the love of his life. Even if it was an absolute emergency, he wasn't going to leave her side.

Paisley had been in pain since about the sixth month of her pregnancy. That would be a symptom of literally dying from the inside. Nothing would help; not warm water, food or pregnancy safe painkillers. There was only one thing that helped: Jackson.

That was another reason he never left her side now. If he did, she would be in excruciating pain. The fetus kicked and churned so hard that it would make Paisley break into tears. Jackson truly hated to see his lover like that.

But for now things seemed to be calm. Paisley was relaxed, huddled to Jackson because of his warmth. A lot of days seemed to be like this now. Things were finally looking up. But that wasn't going to last much longer.

In an instant, Paisley sat up in unbearable pain that her body should have been too weak to handle. She couldn't take it. She cried out in agony of a fetus trying to force its way out of her body.

Jackson now had adrenaline controlling his actions. He got Paisley to the hospital as quickly as possible, teleportation making it seconds. No one noticed because to the rest of them it seemed as though they just came into the room. Being Satan allowed him to disguise what humans saw and hide his abilities easily.

Paisley was checked in and taken to a room. Needless to say this was not going to be natural childbirth. She got an epidural to ease some of her pain and was begging for a cesarean section. The doctors all agreed to one, seeing as though she would probably not be strong enough to give birth naturally, not like she wanted to anyway.

But it was true. If Paisley had decided to push instead of the surgery, her heart would give out before the baby was born. She was no where near strong enough to do that. It would be an impossible miracle if she even survived the C-section, which chances were she wouldn't.

To avoid the risk of Paisley dying during surgery, they were keeping her awake. They gave her painkillers and prepped her for surgery. And because of the severity and level of danger in the surgery, Jackson was not allowed into the room. He would be forced to wait in the waiting room.

That part worried him the most. If Paisley died before he could see her then he wouldn't get to tell her goodbye. He wouldn't get to tell her he loved her. She would be gone for an uncertain amount of time. Hopefully she would be waiting in hell, but Jackson wasn't even certain of that.

The soon to be father paced in the waiting area, biting his knuckles from time to time. He was stressed about the though of losing his lover, but what stressed him even more was the thought of raising a child on his own. Could he actually care for a child? He didn't know.

The doctors delivered their son, who's name was Jared, as his parents agreed on earlier. Paisley's heart gave out and Jackson was heartbroken.