Chapter 11: Observations

Third person

Now that Paisley may have actually found something, she had to do some spy work. She would have to watch Jackson; ask him questions, study his attitude towards others, see if he got uncomfortable around holy objects or if they even caused him pain.

There wasn't much else she had found. The pentagram was her only lead, and she was running with it. And why not? Who's to say it wasn't possible for Jackson to be the ruler of the underworld? No one said he couldn't, so he very well could be.

It wouldn't bother Paisley if he was either. She always found Satanism to be interesting, not scary. Most people thought she was weird, but she was always different anyway.

She decided to sleep on her plan, waiting for Jackson's return. After all, it wasn't like she could do anything while he wasn't there. He was the test subject for her little experiment.

Jackson returned in a few days, stopping by Paisley's apartment. She was happy to see him, but also eager to find out the truth. She was very intrigued by the situation and wanted to know everything she could.

To start she had put two Bibles on her coffee table: one Satanic and one Christian. The curious female hoped there would be some sort of favouritism from her lover that would give her a clue.

Jackson noticed the two books and then glanced at Paisley, who was standing there as if having two different Bibles in her living room was normal. He figured she was trying to decipher his riddle and decided to ignore them.

Jackson's decision to ignore the Bibles agitated Paisley. He wasn't helping her at all. She almost wanted to ask which one he preferred, but that would make it far too obvious.

The only thing Paisley did notice was that Jackson sat on the side of the couch farthest from the Christian Bible. Perhaps that was a small hint to which one he preferred. But Paisley wasn't sure. It could just be a coincidence after all. Jackson could have just sat on that end without thinking.

After a few moments of thinking she sat down next to him and turned on the television. She flipped a few channels before settling on a show about the police arresting people.

A man ran down several streets, only trying to escape from the officers chasing him. Jackson glanced occasionally at the screen, seeming uninterested in the program.

"Man, with the way he runs, you'd think he has some hard core drugs on him or something..." Paisley pointed out, only a few moments before the police officers searched him and found many different drugs.

"He could have his reasons. It could be peer pressure, family stress, depression, or it could have just been caused by addiction to gateway drugs. Everyone is different. It doesn't make them bad people, just people who made bad decisions." Jackson replied, speaking his first and only thought about the television program.

The young woman was taken by surprise by his response. She didn't expect Jackson to show a level of kindness, to someone like that. Sure, he'd never met the man, to her knowledge, but Jackson didn't seem like the type to be nice for no reason.

In reality Jackson already knew that the man had recently lost his wife and drugs were his only coping mechanism. He was a good man that God decided to punish for a so-called sin. Jackson wasn't going to say anything rude or bad about a good man. He didn't deserve rudeness. He was a good man who deserved kindness and Jackson knew that.

The more Paisley thought about it, the more she realized this situation could tie into statement four of the Satanic Bible. Perhaps that was another hint from Jackson.

Paisley couldn't wait any longer. For the final test she had, she was going extreme. This would give her a definite answer about Jackson's job and story.