Chapter One

When the school bell chimed, the students in Mrs Bridge's class all scurried out. It was the end of lessons today and students hurried home. I slammed my books shut and tucked them into my backpack. It had been a long day at school.

As I left the class and approached the hallway, I sighted students lurking in the dark corners of the hallway, some probably awaiting the arrival of friends or chatting. The sky had began to darken and I was a little excited that it was going to be a rainy weekend.

"Annie," I heard someone call as I was about to enter the combination code for my locker. I could recognise the voice no matter where it came from.

I knew it was Chloe. Chloe Cooper was my best friend and companion. We'd been friends since middle school and she had always stood up for me. Although we were in the same grade and of the same age, I always looked up to her. If someone were to see her speaking to me, one would think she was my elder sister and I didn't blame them because she was so overprotective of me.

She was my second best friend and of course, my neighbour. I loved that she was my neighbour because I could call on her anytime I needed her help cooking(sometimes), doing the laundry, picking out an outfit(almost all the time), etc. Speaking of outfits, she was a good fashion adviser. Her dressing today was casual compared to her sophisticated and wild style. She was putting on a black and red striped dress shirt that was a teeny bit above her knee, black beret and red sneakers to complement it. Her makeup was also something that added to her sophisticated looks.

I glanced up and wasn't the least surprised that I'd guessed right. Chloe was beautiful with the perfect weight, tall for her age. She had black wavy hair, cute little brown eyes, cute little nose and cute lips. Her tanned skin glowed under the lights and she had that perfect sun-kissed look all summer and did I mention her killer smile? She could make any guy trip just by giving him a slight smile. I knew because I was a witness at the scene.

"Where have you been for the past twenty minutes and eighteen seconds?" She demanded, moving her bracelet aside to look at an imaginary wristwatch. She didn't allow me to respond and instead, smacked me on the head. So much for being an overprotective friend. 

"What was that for?" I asked furiously. She flipped her recently trimmed hair, pointing an accusing, manicured finger at me.

"Did you forget Tiffany's party during the weekend? The one we've been invited to". She practically screamed at me.

"No." I lied, immediately I remembered that we'd been ( I was forced to) invited to a birthday party on Sunday. It was hosted by one of the girls at school, Tiffany.

"Okay, just a reminder." She gave a delightful smile.

"That's your idea of a reminder? To torture me? Gosh, that hit could've sent me to an early grave." I cried out.

My tantrum only gave her an unrelated idea. "We should get her a gift before Sunday. It would be rude to go there without one. Let's go right now, since classes are over!"

"Oh", was what came out of my mouth but it sounded more like a yelp because someone had hit me from behind.

"Jace," I glared as I spun around. "How many times do I get hit by my BFFs? First it was Chloe and now you?"

 "I'm sorry", he apologised, flashing cute dimples and sparkling golden-brown eyes. Who could stay mad at that face?
"Do you have any extra classes today?" I asked Chloe who was gazing at her phone, after receiving a message alert.

"Yeah", she replied to my amazement. This girl was so difficult to understand. Didn't she say we were were going to get Tiffany a gift just now because classes were over? It was my turn to smack her arm.

"What's going on in that head of yours? Just a minute ago-"

"I'm really sorry guys", she cut in, apologizing to Jace and I.  

"But you said we were to get Tiffany's gift". I complained.

 "That'll be later.". She said. "I've got to catch up with the dancing lessons with Madame Noel". She continued. Her pronouncing tone of Madame was mocking but I tried to hide my smile and pretended to be angry. I gave up when she started to look sober.

"Is there something you aren't telling me?" I asked out of the blue as she shoved her phone hurriedly to her purse.

She gave a convincing smile as she pointed at Jace. "Should I tell her that her hair needs a trim?" Jace laughed. 

"Nah,  her hair's fine." He ruffled my hair playfully, making me swat at his hands.

"Alright, see you at home", I said.

"Yeah." She replied and waved gently at us before running towards her locker to get a few things.

She looked at us and slammed her locker shut before she headed towards her class.

"Don't you want to wait for her?" Jace asked me. 

"I don't think so." I replied, long-faced.

 "Coach set up a meeting for later and I have to get the art supplies into the closet. Want me to wait on your behalf?" He asked and I smiled gratefully at him.
"You're amazing." I praised as he gave me a wink.

"Got to go. I'll give you a call later." He waved at me before jogging away.

A/N:

Okay, so, this is my first time writing on wattpad. I've had this idea for so long and I'm exicited and at the same time, nervous to see what people think about it. It isn't perfect, but I'd love if you could tell me where to improve. I promise to take to correction. Thank you.😙

Hanie.