Chapter Twenty-Four

Song Of The Chapter: I Don't Care by Ed-Sheeran and Justin Bieber.

Just before the whole running around thing began, the kids voiced out their complaints about not having the tools for laser tag. Obviously, their concern wasn't about running about in the park.

When Jamie had said those words to me, I immediately started to decline but I should've known better than to do that in a place where Nico and Kyle were. It didn't take them long to convince me to join them and that automatically made me on their team. Jamie had explained to us that we were going to improvise by using our hands as a makeshift gun.

At first, when the game began, I was wary because the park was filled with people and to be seen running around in the park like kids was plain stupid but when I saw the looks of Jamie and Kyle's faces, I lost myself in th game. I was seeing a lot of sides of Jamie today and I didn't want to miss it.

By the time we got to the car, we were all pretty exhausted. Well, speaking on behalf of the three boys who voiced out their complaints about three times in a row.

We weren't able to decide a winner because at some point in the game, we lost count of the scores.

We met Natasha at the car and Jamie was about to get into the driver's seat when Kyle hopped in, offering to drive. Apparently, Jamie and I weren't the only ones in love with his car.

Jamie stood by the door of the passenger seat, waiting for the rest of us to get in the back. Natasha was the first to get in through the other side so that she sat directly behind Jamie's seat. Nico scrambled in from where we stood and I followed.

Kyle switched on the radio before he started the car and Jamie grumbled immediately at his friend's choice of music.

"What the hell? Turn that thing off."

As he moved to shut off the radio, Kyle slapped his hand away. "You're the only one complaining."

Nico popped between the two seats, grinning at them both. From our time together, I came to the conclusion that he enjoyed watching banters between the two friends.

I smiled at that and as my eyes moved to look out the window, Jamie's caught it through the rearview mirror. I didn't know why but I couldn't force myself to look away. His eyes held the hint of a smile and maybe a question?

We stayed like that for a few seconds before his ringtone blared out, giving me the chance to quickly avert my eyes.

"Hey man. You just had to change the ringtone I personally set to your phone. That hurt my feelings." Kyle removed his right hand from the car wheel to hit his own chest dramatically.

"And then you had to use background noises from The Grudge as my ringtone to get back at me." Jamie snorted.

"That'll teach you to use Dora the Explorer theme song as my ringtone." He retorted before bringing his phone to his ear.

After some seconds of listening to whoever was on the other end, he spoke, sounding confused.

"McDonalds? I didn't order any- Granny, is that you?"

Kyle chuckled. He seemed to know what was going on.

"Come on, Mrs. Willows, I fucking know it's you." Natasha shot her hands forward immediately to smack Jamie's arm. Apparently, the phone in her hand didn't stop her from listening in on Jamie's phone conversation.

"You're busted, old lady Quit pretending to be someone else or I'm going to hang up on you." He laughed aloud and for a second, I thought he was someone else.