Chapter Twenty-two

Song of the chapter: Thank You, Next by Ariana Grande

For a few seconds, I stared shamelessly much to my chagrin. He'd just had a shower and his hair was a darker shade and water dripped from it, down to his face-gosh, his lips. They had more color than they did earlier.

When I discovered that my mouth was slightly hung open, I snapped it shut and my two hands flew quickly to my eyes. I couldn't un-see what I'd just seen. How could someone who looked so lean have shoulders and a chest as broad as this? Come to think of this, Jace probably looked the same way if I could recall several instances where he'd removed his shirt after football practice or at pool parties but the problem was that it was difficult for me to recall anything of that sort right now.

Even though my hands were blocking my view of him, my heart pounded erratically in my chest.

I heard him chuckle and I almost dropped my hands.

"You crazy..." I turned around, trying to make my way to the door.

"Look who's calling me crazy. You barged into my room." I heard the door to the closet open at the same time I found the door entrance.

As I moved to make my way out, I felt a sharp hit on my temple that sent me falling backwards.

"Ow!" I cried as I fell on my butt for the second time that day. For a while, I saw only black all over until the pain settled in again. I shut my eyes as I cradled my head, whimpering softly until I remembered whose presence I was and stopped abruptly. I felt warm breath tickle my skin and I shot my eyes open. Jamie was crouched in front of me, his nose barely an inch away from mine such that if I made just a little effort to move my head closer our lips would meet. But what the hell was I thinking? The hit to my head must have messed with my brain. I moved my head away from his and tried to get up but he grabbed unto my hands.

Taking in his appearance, I saw that instead of the towel, he'd worn denim jeans and they hung as low as the towel had. I was so preoccupied by staring at his torso and I hadn't realized what he was aiming at. I gave a yelp as his hands moved to massage what was now starting to form as a bump on my head. His left hand was behind my head but he released it to get a grip on my left arm as I struggled to get away.

Another person could be in my situation and be too focused on the pain to care about anything else but my case was different. My heart was on the verge of exploding and no matter how painful my head had started to throb, the feel of his skin against mine was electrocuting.

"Stop moving. Stay still." He commanded twice, his breath fanning my face. It smelt like pineapple juice.

I finally found my voice. "Let me go. It hurts. I'm sure a real doctor would find a better, less painful way to put my split head back together." Seriously, even in my current state, I could still make a silly humpty dumpty joke?

"If your head were really split open, no kind of doctor will ever be able to put it back together again, if you remember your rhymes correctly." He so brilliantly replied and I couldn't retort because I was busy fending off the attack against my forehead.

"Relax, mom says this always helps to minimize the pain later on and also, you don't want to sport a giant bump on your head." He said, a little more seriously. That got me quiet except for the few occasional cries that left my mouth.

"Any normal person should've just apologized politely for barging into someone's room and then, head out to wait."

"What did you expect me to do when you came out in nothing but a towel around your waist?" I questioned unabashedly, making him chuckle. I needed to shut my head hole now before I said more stupid things.