Chapter Twenty-Eight

Song of the chapter: Savage by Megan Thee Stallion. -The tik-tok challenge with this song has been dope. You should check it out, #savagechallenge on tik-tok. I haven't posted mine yet even if it literally took me a whole day to learn those steps. XD

It was already getting dark and all through, to keep each other company, we'd been bantering as always, listening to the radio, and occasionally, I had to reply to a few texts. My phone rang about a hundred times but because it was from either Chloe or Jace, I didn't answer.

Jace was probably going to ask of where I was, one way or the other and I didn't want to have to lie to him, well at least, not in Jamie's presence. He didn't have to know that my friends were restricting me from being even a ten foot's radius from him.

Meanwhile, I'd sent Chloe a text, saying I was going to explain to her later. I mean, it all happened so fast. A part of me said that Chloe didn't have to know this much but who was I kidding?

Jamie had received a few calls but he didn't say anything to give the person on the other line away except when Kyle called to know how far we'd gotten. He announced that Nico was asleep and he begged Jamie to speak with his sister to take over with the driving because he was getting exhausted. Jamie had to reply smugly that he'd been the only one doing the driving and he wasn't complaining.

The car slowed down a bit as we turned into a road. From afar, a gigantic house stood on a hill.

I sat up in my seat, admiring the quiet environment. There weren't any other houses in sight but the scenery even from below was splendid.

"Are you sure this is the place or are you planning to sell me off to some rich and powerful mafia?" I eyed him

"The only thing you're good for is 'not' following orders and I think you wouldn't be that much help to the mafia with that 'attribute'.

The car slowed down as we pulled up to a white gate that stood high. Jamie tooted the horn, waiting for the gate to come open and after a few seconds of waiting without a response, he began to honk continuously like a lunatic.

Some seconds later, we saw a thin man looking to be in his forties in a black uniform run out from the side gate, muttering apologies and then run back inside to get the gate.

The comeback I had on my lips vanished as I took in the sight before us.

A water fountain stood beautifully at the centre of the premises and the way the water sprayed out of it was entrancing. The ground below the fountain was covered with green grass, leading all the way to the back of the building. I managed to peel my eyes off it to take a good look at the building behind the fountain. The house was painted all white except for the golden-coloured pillars by each side and the glass panels shielding the balcony on the second floor. It looked about as tall as a great museum and from the side, looked like it stretched on to God knows where. The back of the building looked higher than the front and I gaped in admiration. Since it was already almost dark, the lights in near the main entrance glowed orange and it all looked like fairy lights in the dark. Almost all the windows in my view glowed with lights from within and even from the chandelier that hung from beneath the awning. This is what a mansion looks like. I thought.

"I didn't know you loved to have flies for dinner." An annoying voice interrupted me and once again, I didn't have it in me to give him a soothing reply at that moment. Let him have his day. I thought. I'm always going to have my revenge. It wasn't like I didn't have a good retort. I could've given him such a smooth reply also, say, for example. "I didn't know you had a corpse in your car." That would surely make him frown, right?

"It isn't fair for old folks to be this wealthy. The youth need it more." I mumbled bitterly but Jamie only chuckled as he drove towards the garage on the right. Once the doors came open, he drove him and I awed at the vast space. Of course, there had to be a lot of sleek cars and I wondered if we were at a car dealer's. Okay, maybe I exagerrated a little but there were up to seven cars in there. I didn't know a lot about car models and stuff but I knew as much that they were freaking expensive cars.

I got down from the car slowly as Jamie took the lead in pulling out my stuff from the back of the car. I wondered where he put his stuff if he packed any at all. He'd probably dropped it off with Kyle.

I stretched my hands forward to collect my bag but acting like he hadn't noticed, he strode past making me mutter a thank you as I moved to keep up with him.

As we approached the house, from afar, I saw the large wooden door swing open, revealing a petite but poised looking girl. She looked so tiny compared to the length of the doorframe and because of the phone held against her left ear by her left hand, she moved all the way to a corner.

A tall and gangly looking man in white shirt and dark grey trousers escorted her a few steps outside before he took a little bow and turned to step back inside but as if he was just seeing Jamie and I, a fondly smile grew on his lips and he hurried over to where we were. We met him halfway.

Jamie looked excited to see the man as he spoke.

"Mr McAfee, it's been a long while. How have you been?" This was the kindest I ever heard Jamie speak and I didn't know if it instinct but my head did a little bow.

"Jamieson." The man with a full head of grey hair spoke, patting Jamie's shoulder. "You're now a grown man."

I tried to hide a scoff at Jamie's sour expression but he noticed me and sent a glare in my direction. This brought the man's attention to me as he looked to Jamie for an introduction.

"This is Annabelle." He knew I hated when he used my full name but I guessed that was why he used it. To get on my nerves.

The man smiled at me and offered me a handshake and I shook him shyly. If he was their butler or whatever, wasn't he informed of my visit, judging from how close to the family he seemed. That means they didn't know of my visit. If they'd forgotten I was invited, how was I supposed to explain why I was here?

I saw the man take the bags from Jamie and we trudged along. The girl in the corner seemed to talk animatedly on the phone as she gestured with her right hand even if the person on the line couldn't see her.

On getting closer, I saw the black polka dots on her yellow balloon sleeved blouse clearly and I couldn't help but admire the black skirt she paired it with. It had like a fish's fin's pattern on the left side which stopped at the exact length of the skirt above her knee. To top it off, she wore the whitest pair of Nike sneakers I'd ever seen.

The highlight of her whole look was the red hair that cascaded down her back, almost the same length as her skirt. I immediately started to feel self conscious, especially when she hung up the phone and turned back around.

"Jamie!" She screamed as she lunged for the guy standing beside me and if I once said the last smile I saw on Jamie's face was the most genuine, I was so wrong because, that time, at that moment, he was beaming at this red-haired petite beauty before us in nerdy glasses.

A/N: Hey loves, I know, I know, I took so long to post this chapter and stuff but I should at least, plead my case.

February and March were really busy months for me, from my moving into a new environment to settling down and trying to know the terrain. I (actually my twin and I) got sick for a while probably due to the change in environment. I had half of this chapter ready but I just wasn't inspired to complete it and this Covid19 situation hasn't been much help. At least, with me staying up this late in order to post an update, it's probably a good sign that I'm ready to work some more.

My birthday was on the 14th of this month and it was my wish that I was going to be forgiven for taking this long and I hope that wish comes true. I'm happy for all the progress I've made since the move, really. It was the best decision I ever made and I'm thankful for that.

Thank you all for sticking with me and thank you all for 500 reads on JIL. I'd love nothing more than to get another chapter ready right now, but I really need to get some sleep. I'll hopefully start working on the next chapter when I'm fully awake and don't have a splitting headache.

Stay safe, y'all. I'm actually starting to lose it, being indoors and all.

Xoxo,

The birthday girl. *wink wink*