Chapter Two

Jace Thomas was my first best friend. We'd been friends since kindergarten. I knew Jace before I knew Chloe. Though Jace was a boy, he still has some female features; of course I don't mean phisically, but in some emotional aspects.

He is a year ahead of me. He lived in a house across from mine before we moved here, some streets away when mom was still with us.

Now, I was seated in the library with a book in hand. After Jace had left me in the hallway few minutes ago, I'd gone to my locker, taken a few books and tossed it into my backpack and had slammed my locker shut like Chloe had done.

I'd looked around to see if any student going my way was about and I couldn't find any so, I walked towards the main entrance.

When I came out, it'd started to pour heavily outside. I'd ran back in before I got soaked. I resolved to staying back to wait for Chloe. I decided to go hang out in the library until she was through.

As I stared at the book in my hand absentmindedly, I fiddled with my bracelet. It was almost the same type Chloe had worn. We got it together at the same store. As I sat there, I looked around. This was the library where I met Chloe.

That morning, my parents had had a serious argument and my mom had packed her things and left me with my dad with the promise of coming back (the promise she fooled me with.). When I got to school that day, I visited the library and met Chloe. She happened to have the same interest in books I loved and so, we became friends.

Being a twelve year old, I told her all of my problems and worries. She told me her parents always had arguments and they never separated and she assured me that arguments like my parent's never led to divorce.

I got home that day feeling assured and I waited patiently for mom at the front door. When it became dark and I still didn't see any signs of her coming, I started to get impatient. I went in and dialed her office line but she was not responding. I heard a car horn and went back out and bumped into dad. I looked behind him and didn't see mom. Dad told me to go have dinner and sleep and that tomorrow, we were going to talk.

The next day, he called school to inform them that I was going to be absent. I wondered what was going on. Then , after breakfast, dad dropped the bomb. He and mom were separated. Many thoughts ran through my mind at that time and all I could do was weep. Without a word, I went back up to my room and wept bitterly. I stared at the picture frames hung up. It was a picture of mom and I on my last birthday. She'd held unto me so tight like she'll never let go. I fell sick and couldn't go to school the next day. Jace was not around and so, I had no one to talk to when dad left for work.

In the evening when dad came back, we heard a knock on the door and dad went to get it. "Please am I at the Robert residence?" I heard someone say. " Yes" my dad answered still at the door. " I'm Annie's friend from school and I came to see her". My dad let her in and I saw it was Chloe. We went up to my room and told her everything, weeping again. She consoled me and when I was through, she said some funny things and I laughed a little. She left and I shut the door. I heard dad say a goodbye to her when she said hers. I thought dad wasn't upset about it. I heard a loud thud on my window and opened it. I was very surprised to find Chloe sitting at the edge of the window of the building beside ours. That was her home. Since then, we'd become very close friends. I introduced Chloe to Jace some days later and he was kind of jealous, but it soon wore off him. I told him about my mom and he sympathised with me.( not that I loved being pitiful but Jace was ever so caring.)

Anytime I asked my dad what was wrong with the marriage that made them go separate ways, he just gave a lame excuse and changed the subject. Sometimes I wished I had never grown to the extent of knowing my mom or remembering what she looked like. When she was still around and her friends came visiting, they always said I looked like her with my light blue eyes and dark hair that contrasted with my pale white skin. My mom is English and my dad, American.

To cut the story short, my mom left us and dad is working really hard for us to get past it.

I snapped out of my reminiscence when I heard my phone buzz. All this while, I'd forgotten to text Chloe and Jace that I'd stayed back to wait for them. I pulled my phone and stared at the screen. It was a minute past four. I'd stayed here for almost two hours. I jerked up when I saw the instant message sent by dad. It read:

"Where are you young lady?"

Even with how short the message was, I was very certain that dad was furious with me. He even addressed me as young lady. Sometimes, when he was really mad at me, he adressed me with my full name. Wy the hell did he have to act like a woman. I admit that he was trying to play the role of mom and dad but I didn't see the reason why his role as mom was so extreme as to saying my middle name when he was annoyed with me.

I looked up at my widget and saw twenty missed calls. Now, I got why he was so pissed off. I quickly texted Chloe after I'd checked out if it was still raining. It had subsided but it wasn't showing any signs of stopping soon. Almost immediately, I got a reply from Chloe that she was on her way to get Jace before coming to meet me. I became impatient and contemplated whether to call dad or not. I looked around the library and saw there were only a few people left.

I finally decided not to call dad, so that by the time I got home, his temper would have scurried out.

I mentally outlined what I would write in my diary and where i would be sitted at home while doing so.

Friday, 6:23 pm

Dear Diary

Everytime it rains and i sit at my desk, staring out the window, i always think of mom. I ask myself questions that I, myself can't answer like, "Where is she now? What is she up to? Does she think of me the way I do?" Questions like that keep running through my mind with no one to answer it which sometimes make me feel lonely.

A/N:
Second chapter, and I'm glad that some people are reading this. It makes me happy to see how many people read this chapter. To be honest, I thought that many people would just drop this book in the thrash after the first chapter. Lol. Thanks to all that have been reading. Please always remember to vote and most importantly, leave a comment for me to know what you all think about this chapter. I appreciate comments more than anything.
Thanks again friends, I appreciate you devoting your time to read.

Hanie.