Chapter Eighteen

Song Of The Chapter: Sweet But Psycho by Ava Max

This chapter is dedicated to my twin sister, @Chantellehaekins for her unwavering support.

After my showdown with Jamie, I was as muted as a television set. Yeah, that was the nearest comparison I could come up with because my thinking hadn't been straight.

I had been so satisfied with my outburst at Mr Arrogant until I discovered that his mom had been there. She'd probably been there the whole time. 

Pretending to adjust the folding at the edge of my jeans, I hit my head against the table for the millionth time since dinner started.

After my discovery that Nicole had been standing there, I hurried down the stairs and out the door to get some fresh air. I had let my anger control me, yet again and this time, it'd probably gotten me into more serious shit.
Of course, to make me all the more guilty, Nicole had come out herself to get me when everyone else was already seated for dinner.

Somehow, she got Jamie down for dinner too. If she could've done that so easily, why did she have to get me involved in the first place? She apologized on behalf of everyone for not making me feel so welcome. 

When she led me back in, I followed her without saying a word.

Talking about guilt-tripping, to top it off, the seat left for me was the one next to Jamie's.

I glanced at him only once to find him involved in a stare-down with his father.

Mr McLane sat at the head of the table, Nicole sat next to him to his left, and Nico came next. Jamie sat on the right next to his dad and I came after. He looked like he was avoiding me or maybe he was just too engrossed with the glares he was shooting his dad.

When Nicole got to the table with the last dish, she announced,

"Let's pray."

She took her husband's hand and then, Nico's. Jamie looked at his father's hands and then to mine.

This was turning out to be the most awkward dinner I'd ever had in my life. I could've just agreed with the guy himself when he told me to stay home. Lesson of the day: Stubbornness does you no good.

If this was a movie, everyone should learn from my stupidity. I ducked my head under the table to retie my perfectly tied up sneakers and this time, even without having to fake it, I hit my head. My head was getting used to situations like this pretty fast.

"Are you alright, sweetie? Are you uncomfortable there?"Nicole fussed, gesturing towards my side of the table and I caught sight of Nico stiffening a laugh at my flushed look.

Jamie abruptly got up from his seat and gestured to it.

"You can sit here." Without waiting for my response, he drew out my chair in one swift motion, ushering me to get up.

He could've at least acted like he wasn't doing this because he didn't want to hold hands with his dad. My instincts fought to argue but I shouldn't be stubborn about that now. Look where stubbornness got me in the first place.

When we were seated, Nicole shot Jamie a disapproving look.

"Can we pray now?"

I put my hands in Mr McLane's cold ones and looked to Jamie, half expecting him to ignore me but he looked away and offered his hands, wide open.

Putting my hands in his, I jerked it away when I felt its warmth because I'd been expecting the opposite. He raised an eyebrow at me and I felt my hairs standing on edge. I put my hands back in his and relaxed, closing my eyes.