Chapter Sixteen

At five, when I told dad that Mrs McLane had invited me to dinner, he said that he had something to discuss with me quickly, before I left.

It was weird that dad had something to 'discuss' with me about. The last time he had made this statement was five years ago when mom left us. Perhaps he had stumbled on the picture I found? Or... It was too early for him to get married to Miranda, right?

I fiddled with my fingers nervously as he spoke, "Annie, I know you're all grown up now." This was also almost how he'd started the conversation then. The only difference was that he'd said, 'I know you're all grown up now, enough to understand certain things.'

"-and your well-being is the first thing I care about." Oh my. What was he about to say? "But each time I'm out at work and you're home alone, I don't usually feel at rest." Okay, that wasn't what I expected him to say.

"Miranda and I were talking about something the other day." Oh no! This wasn't happening. He wants to get married to her so that her children could keep me company? I think I was really going to move to Africa to hibernate for a few hundred years .Well that was if my lifespan was that long .I couldn’t stick around to become a kind of modern day Cinderella having a nice stepmother and evil step siblings.

“So I planned something out.” He said, cutting me out of my outrageous  thoughts. I met with Mrs. McLane next door. We talked over a cup of coffee and she’s a very nice person. She was the best candidate and she also thought my plan was great.” I stared at him, still left in the dark about what their plan was.

“Anytime I’m late at work or I have an emergency that makes me stay the night at the office, you should go over to the McLane’s."

My mouth dropped open in disbelief. What had my Dad done? He was planning to ruin my life. Nicole wasn’t my problem as she was a ray of sunshine but her son was the exact opposite. This was definitely worse than being modern Cinderella. Okay, maybe being Cinderella was worse.

“I can go over to Chloe’s.” I suggested, hoping that it was a great idea. Better than his.

“I don’t think that’s a good idea, Annie. Chloe now lives miles away. If you don’t like my idea, I can ask aunt Dorine to move here.”

That sounded like a threat. Dorine was my dad’s elder sister and I hated every of her visits each year, during thanksgiving. She was over fifty years old already, old and probably old enough to be a grandmother but she wasn’t married and she had no kids. And no, she wasn’t a nun. I thought she was mean but dad said she was only being strict. She always made me watch    TV shows that were meant for old women and when I snuck up to my room because I couldn’t take it anymore, she’d take her revenge on me. Her revenge was always so cruel and it was the highlight of her life.

Once, as revenge she’d made me shovel the snow in the driveway while it was still snowing heavily. I could’ve died of hypothermia. Worst of all, she always brought her ugly black cat with her. The typical ugly black cat you see that belongs to a witch in  a movie.  Now, dad was suggesting for her to move here?

She’d always said she wished to live with us until she got married. Interpretation: She’ll live here until she dies because she isn’t ever going to get married. Any other torture in the world was better than living with aunt Dorine.

“What do you say, Annie?” My dad asked, sounding impatient.

“Ughhhh. Fine. I’ll go over to Nicole’s anytime you’re at work.” I could always sneak back in, though.

“And don’t you dare think you can sneak back in. I spoke with Nicole about keeping an eye on you.” I face-palmed myself. My dad was practically destroying my life slowly and painfully.