Chapter Fourteen

Song of the chapter: Look what you made me do by Taylor Swift.

"What happened to your arm ?"Jace raised my arm, a frown etching up his features .The burn on my arm was already fading, but he noticed it.

"I was being clumsy." I lied. He looked at me for a second but I knew he'd believed it. He started walking down the path and I followed him.

"I met him through one of the guys in the team. I needed his help for...something." He stopped. "Wait, how'd you know his name?"

I was about to ask what the 'something' he meant when he asked that question. I didn't want to tell him about us going to the club that night, so I hesitated.

"Well...umm, just through someone that knows someone that knows someone that knows someone." I laughed, trying to cover up my idiotic explanation.

He stared at me blankly, as if sensing my discomfort. "Oh." He continued walking ahead.

"You should go back in." He smiled at me. I smiled back.

"Goodnight. Sleep well." He said, giving me a pat on the head. I shoved his hands away, trying to glare at him but successfully failing at it.

"Goodnight. Be safe." I ruffled his hair. Now, it was his turn to glare. I stuck my tongue out at him, turning back to walk in. "And Annie?" I turned to hear what he had to say.

"No matter where you meet Jamie or his friends...stay away from them. Him especially." I nodded. He didn't need to tell me about it. I didn't like the guy anyways but if only Jace knew he was my neighbor. I guess Jamie didn't tell him either. I gave him a wave and went into the house, shutting the door behind me and climbing up the stairs.

I thought that meeting with Jace tonight would give me answers but I ended up with more questions. What did he need Jamie's help for? If he knew Jamie was dangerous, why did he need his help? What exactly made Jamie dangerous? Jace hadn't used the word 'dangerous', but that's what 'staying away from him' meant, right?

Dad was already running late but I hoped the nervousness between the both of them concerning their kids had dissipated. I reached for my purse to fish out my phone but it wasn't in there. I checked my bed and went back down the stairs to look for it. I soon recalled that I'd brought it out while speaking with Jace outside the house. I went outside and found it on the pave. Thank God.

At the same time I bent down to pick it up, I heard the revving of engine close-by. I didn't need to look up to know that it was Jamie. He was back from wherever he went with Natasha. As I was about to creep back in, my phone took the timing to ring. And here I was, thinking my phone was my third best friend. Second worst best friend award goes to my phone.

Dad's name flashed across the screen and I looked up to see that the ringing had brought Jamie's attention to me. I glared at him and back at my phone. I answered the call and the line on the other end went dead. I noticed him start to walk up to me and I opened the door, backing in, ever so slowly into the house. I wasn't scared of him. I was only being cautious. Especially since I'd been warned to stay away from him.

"It's good to know that you're afraid of me now." I could see the highlight of his face as he smirked and I stopped moving. Wait, what the hell am I doing? Backing away even when he is a long distance away from me? I am not scared of him. I can't be. I scoffed in response.

"You wish." I closed the door behind me and took a bold step forward as he walked up to me.

"My mom said to invite you to dinner tomorrow but I'm gonna tell her you aren't interested." Yeah, I could be busy tomorrow but I was mad at him for giving an answer on my behalf.