Chapter Five

"What?" I shrieked, not wanting to believe what I'd just heard. It was Monday afternoon and I'd come to Chloe's after school.

"We're leaving" she replied, not looking the least bit happy. I wrote in my diary how much Chloe meant to me and today, she was telling me that they were moving!

"The worst thing is not moving, but moving in a few days" she said with a painful look to her eyes. I just sat, staring at her, not knowing how to react to the news.

"But you girls would be seeing at school" Chloe's mom assured us on overhearing our conversation from the kitchen.

"I know how hard it is for you girls, but you also know how important this job is to Hank" she turned, facing Chloe, referring to her husband, Chloe's dad.

According to Chloe's explanation, her dad finally got a new job after he resigned from his previous job. His new job took most of his time as he left home as early as 6:00am and arrived home at around 9:00pm. He had complained that the distance was too far and the traffic was unavoidable and so, he resulted to moving. With his family! Including Chloe! She complained that it was a flimsy excuse but I had nothing to say about it.

They were moving to the other side of town and even though she was to continue attending our school, it wouldn't be the same as before. The only exciting thing for her was that maybe now, she'll get her own car since the distance to school was also far.

I didn't know how to react to this. I didn't know if I was to laugh at the news and be happy that Chloe was moving or kick my legs like a toddler and cry. I resulted to doing the latter.

"Annie, get a grip on yourself", Chloe's mom scolded. "It's not like you wouldn't be seeing each other at school. You also have Saturdays and Sundays." she said again, thinking she was assuring us. It just made it worse because I kept thinking what it'd be like to only see each other at school. There would be be barely enough time to chat. We barely had any classes in common.

"But this is crazy", I replied.

"How do we catch up on girl's time at school? I know we can do that on Saturdays but it's not the same as catching a bus to school and back home together. There's got to be a solution to this!" I exclaimed matter-of-factly.

"There's nothing else we can do" Chloe who had been quiet all this while, chipped in.

"I know", I bursted out. "I just wanted to say that last sentence. It sounded cool".

"Oh Annie", Chloe said and pulled me into a bear hug. Returning the hug, I glanced back at Mrs. Cooper who was now trying to hold back tears. She always got emotional at stuff like this.

Chloe moved closer to whisper in my ear. "I think we should take this to my room so mom doesn't start a crying spree". I smiled into her shoulder and she moved on to get her a Kleenex before going up the stairs with me close behind.

We spent the day doing some packing in Chloe's room amidst laughing, oh-ing and aww-ing when we saw anything that reminded us of our friendship. We saw a picture taken two years ago, when Chloe and Jace had thrown a birthday party for me. The picture was taken with my mouth hung open.

"Your mouth could have caught a fly that day!", Chloe exclaimed, reminiscing back to that day's event. She discussed about operation GAAB strategy with me staring at her like she was a weirdo anytime she got too engrossed.

When I got home that night, I heard voices coming from the living room. One, which I knew so well, belonging to my dad and the other, I couldn't quite place.

Placing my right hand on the doorknob, I took a deep breath. It couldn't possibly be mom. Though, it had been long she walked out on us, I didn't think I could forget her voice.

I opened the door and found dad and some woman in the middle of a toast. She looked like she was in her mid-thirties. She was dressed in a red silk gown and she looked elegant. She shifted uncomfortably in her seat when my gaze stayed focus on her. Everywhere became tense and I could tell she was squirming under my gaze.

"Annie, come join us", dad said, breaking the ice. It looked like they just had dinner. They were sited on the couch with a TV show going on. Dad never watched reality shows so, I guess it was the woman.

"I'll be in my room", I said, as I hurried up the stairs to my room.

Dear diary, Monday 9:18pm

I'm feeling so torn up inside. I know I'm not supposed to feel this way. Dad has endured so much until now. Little wonder he had been acting weird lately and doing stuff he usually didn't do. He hummed a song in the morning; something he had stopped doing years ago. He came back home later than usual. All this while, I didn't suspect a thing. Funny thing is that he didn't talk about it.

I have no right to blame him for seeing someone after six years of being divorced. I also have to move on from my past. 'Dwelling on the past slowed down one's present and future'. My mum had once said. Well, she didn't make it any easier for me to focus on my present or future.

Chloe's moving out, my dad seeing a new woman. What's the worst that could happen?

A/N:

I've been taking so much time to update and I'm angry at myself for that, but things just keep coming up. Issues I need to sort out. I hope I finally get some free time to actually keep to my writing schedule.

Hanie