Chapter Twelve

I was glaring daggers at him. "So, you aren't gonna tell him you skipped school? And why?" He smirked at me. I noticed the black stud earring on his left ear. His hair looked ruffled, perfectly sticking out in different ends. His face was looking shinier than usual. What are you doing? Give him a rude answer. By the look on his face, I guess he'd just given an offensive remark. His eyebrow was now raised up in a questioning manner. "Now you're mesmerized by my face?" He asked, earning a scoff from me. I made a gagging noise at the back of my throat, accompanied by a pukey face. "Go to hell where you belong."

      "Right after you." He replied. There wasn't any use throwing words at him. He was just going to hand them back to me. He brought his ladder and hoisted it over his window's edge.

       "It sure looks like you're on your way there." I muttered, loud enough for him to hear. He climbed down the ladder when it had securely stood against the wall. As he made it down the ladder, he called up to me, making sure it was loud enough to hear too. "Nice bathrobe." He winked and walked off. I looked at what I was wearing and gave a frustrated scream.

                      **                                                                     **                                                                **

       Dad made a reservation at a French restaurant downtown. We were seated at seven thirty and Miranda was running late. My leg bobbed up and down in my seat, a sign that I was nervous. I kept smoothing invisible creases in my dress too. Dad was looking down at something on his phone too but I could tell that he was nervous too because he was tapping with his left hand continuously on the table.

        A waiter came over to our table and we took water. I was starving though, but we couldn't have dinner yet. On the table, my phone's screen lit up with a text. I picked it up and smiled.

        'Good luck! Stop adjusting your dress.' –Chloe.

        I almost laughed out loud. She knew I was nervous and even though she couldn't see me, her guess was right about what I was doing. It still surprised me how she knew me so well.

        When I'd gone back in after the incident which Jamie's mom had almost caught us, I'd received Chloe's call. Classes had ended and she wanted to know what was up with me and why I left school without her. I told her I'd skipped school. When she asked why, I told her that dad wanted me to meet his girlfriend tonight and how I felt about it. She was a little mad at me for keeping it from her when I found out that my dad was seeing someone.

        I thought about Jace and how our friendship seemed to be strained as of recent, how he'd been avoided me. I hadn't seen him all week and Chloe hadn't either. He being a year ahead of us was a perfect excuse to any normal person, but our relationship was beyond normal. Something had to be wrong.

        I scrolled through the contacts on my phone and found Jace. I decided to send a message to him to find an explanation for his actions.

        'We need to talk.' –Me.

        Just as I sent the text, I looked up to see Miranda approaching our table. She looked so elegant in her royal blue top with delicate lace patterns all around the upper part and a below-the-knee tulle skirt; black leather pumps. She held a black purse, showing off her perfectly manicured nails, polished a dark blue. She was an epitome of elegance.

         Dad got up to give her a kiss on the cheeks and I got up also, feeling awkward. "I'm sorry. We got held up in traffic." Her voice was delicate but firm. The skin of her heart-shaped face had that rose petal soft quality. Her short brown hair bobbed up and down as she turned to look at me, a wide smile on her face. Unsure of what to say, I smiled back at her.