Chapter Twenty-Six

Song of the chapter: Perfect to me- Anne Marie

At first, I had started to roll around slowly, hoping that this was just a dream but then, I stopped suddenly, trying to recall the state of my room this morning before I went to sleep. Worse was when I realized that I was still in my pajamas. Sighing in defeat, I finally turned around slowly and sat up, making sure the covers were around me. We were in this together.

"What do you want?" I snapped.

"And who said you could come up here?"

He only snickered at my question. "Good to see you too."

I sighed in frustration and tried again after giving my face a rub.
This was like the first time I couldn't even pay attention to how he looked but what time had he never looked or smelled nice?

"What do you want?" I tried again. "Can I help you?"

I saw a quick change in his demeanor like he started to feel awkward.
I wondered if it was the calm way I spoke to him because he probably hadn't expected it. Or perhaps, had he seen something? Was my bra lying on the nightstand?

"My mom said to check on you. She'd been calling all morning to check if you were still coming to my grandma's." The look on his face showed that he clearly hated being his mom's messenger.

I patted the bed for my phone. True to what he said, when I found my phone, it showed that I had six missed calls from the same unknown number. Nicole was ever so persistent.
Just like mom. A little voice at the back of my head said.

"Ughh" I grunted. "Not this again." And immediately he opened his mouth to speak, I realized I'd said that out loud.

He made a face. "You don't have to come. She isn't forcing you." He frowned after a pause. "Or is she?"

"I wasn't talking to you." I waved him down, rubbing a few circles on my stomach.

"Are you...uhm" He started to ask but turned abruptly. He probably thought he was getting too emotional with me if he asked if I was okay.

"I'll just tell her you're sick."
I watched as he moved across the room.

If mom was here, I wondered what her reaction was going to be if she discovered that a boy was up in my roo-

Oh no! That was it! Any more thoughts about mom was going to drive me crazy. Starting now! What was it with me and my sudden thoughts of her. If going on that trip was going to take my mind off of her, then so be it.

"Wait!" I yelled as I scrambled out of bed, clutching my stomach as I ran out of my room to the top of the stairs. Curse his long legs, he was already at the foot of the stairs and he turned back to stare at me, in question.

I bent a little awkwardly, panting like I just ran a mile. Before speaking, I looked around in search of dad. I couldn't just leave for the whole week without telling him anything. I guessed he already left for work. He probably decided to let me off the hook today. Gosh, I sure hoped Nicole had already spoken to him about this trip.

"Can you give me just a few seconds?" I asked Jamie. When he still stared at me, I corrected.

"Minutes? I changed my mind."

He sighed, running his hand through his hair and clicked on his phone. "Will you be ready in ten?"

I shot my eyes wide open. "When I asked you to give me a few minutes, I didn't mean-"

"Nine..." He interrupted, making me turn on my heels, deciding to save the argument for later.

While running down to my room, I debated whether to get dressed or pack my stuff first. Thankfully, I'd had my bath this morning. I just had to wash the sleep lines off my face and that could come after.