Chapter Twenty-Three

Song of the chapter: Lush Life by Zara Larson ft. Tinie Tempah.

There was a smirk on Natasha's lips as she stared me down as if she knew that I'd just discovered she was Kylie's sister. I saw her lean into Jamie to whisper something and then, she laughed.

Jamie didn't laugh at first . He only had a little frown on his face before he gave a little smirk. Was it directed at me or was it because of whatever she'd said to him?

Nico took my hands at the same time Kyle hurriedly typed something on his phone before waving madly at me, a huge grin on his face. The last time I'd seen him, I'd acted like a snob. Even though there wasn't a chance for me to apologise to him, I had to be nice to him, regardless of what I'd just discovered. The same sibling I'd tried to avoid meeting was the one who stood right before me.

Before I waved back though, a small thought flickered across my mind. Perhaps he was pretending to be nice. His sister was so horrible and it was possible that he took her side at all times. But looking again, his smiled seemed so genuine and I didn't know what to think so, I decided to go with the flow. If he happened to be just as mean as his sister, I was gonna 'switch to a bitch' in an instant. Well, that rhymed.

I smiled to myself and gave a small wave as I approached the trio- more like duo because I wasn't concerned about the last one even if she could probably be my stepsister soon. Only thinking about that word brought a sour taste in my throat.

Natasha paused for a second as she saw the exchange between her brother and I. He looked kind of like a cute puppy as he shyly reached for a quick hug. That caught me off guard and I couldn't help but wonder if Natasha had told him I was the daughter of the man his mother was seeing. He probably doesn't even care. I thought.

"Hey Annabelle." He greeted as I cringed at the use of my real name.

He noticed this but when he looked like he was about to apologise, I spoke.

"Hey Kyle. It's okay." I shot him a mega-watt smile. He ran his hand through his dark hair and turned to Nico when Jamie cleared his throat.

"Hey buddy." I heard Kyle speak to the little boy as Jamie took in my appearance. I was wearing only sweats and jeans and there was nothing to feel so insecure about yet, my ears suddenly felt hot.

"I got it." I told him awkwardly, only both of us understanding why I said that. I was referring to the clothes I wore and what the heck did that mean? Anyone with eyes would know I got it. He only smirked at me.

If negative energy was a smoke, everywhere would've been pitch black and we'd all be gasping for breath at loss of oxygen now. Yeah, I was referring to Natasha's negative energy.

"Annabelle, fancy meeting you again." She spoke, clutching onto Jamie's left arm. Kyle looked up immediately, gesturing between the two of us. Apparently, he didn't see the need to introduce her when I met them outside. I wasn't complaining either.

"You've met?" He lookede surprised and I debated whether to tell him my experience with officially meeting her.

"Yeah, we even had dinner together." She spoke up, a slight smirk on her face. Honestly, it was either Jamie who learnt from her or she from him. Smirking was like their favourite expression.

"You're friends?" Kyle sounded shocked.

"Hardly." His sister snickered.

"Seeing how serious mom is being about her new love interest, seems like we'll be stuck with her and her abusive father." Natasha pointed at me and my lips began to quiver in an attempt to keep a rein on my anger.