Chapter Thirty-One

Song Of The Chapter: Need Me by Toni Rotimi. A friend sent this to me through a message chat and I loved how soft the song was, even if the lyrics were kind of heartbreaking.

Instead of helping to pick my phone up, Jamie only stared at me. He looked like he was trying to hide a smirk. Had he caught me taking the video? How long had he been standing behind that door?

I tried to think of any incriminating thing I'd said to Chloe and bent down slowly to pick up my phone.

I saw Jace's face flash on the screen, an incoming call from him.

Glancing up at Jamie when I'd picked up the phone, I hesitated to answer it. Even if I finally decided to let Jace know of my whereabouts, Jamie didn't have to be there. I eventually let the call go to voicemail as Jamie turned around, strolling back out to the room. If he noticed why I felt uncomfortable bumping into him on my way out, he didn't give anything away with his expression or his words.

"I was told that this was going to be my room during my stay here?" I tried to send him a message, posing it as a question. I actually meant, what are you doing here?

"What do you think?" He suddenly spun around to face me, making my forehead almost collide with his jaw at the abrupt movement and proximity because I'd been walking right behind him.

Clearing my throat, I took a step back and he just rolled his eyes at me.

"This was the only bag you packed for this trip and you managed to forget all about it." He gestured to my duffel back that was now sitting one of the sofas. That was why he was here. To drop the bag I'd stupidly forgotten amidst my awe and nervousness.

"You didn't have to. I'd have probably come down to get it myself." I scratched the back of my neck but he actually looked like he didn't believe me.

"I was told to come get you for dinner but it looks like you're not even close to ready." He pointed at my present outfit.

"Do you know how difficult it is to climb up and down the stairs?" Jamie sounded like he was whining and I couldn't help but smirk at him.

"Quit throwing tantrums. After all, I'm your guest here." At that, he threw me a murderous glare but didn't disagree. I noticed he now wore a blue and white striped button-down shirt over his dark jeans.

Deciding not to keep him any longer, I picked up the bag and turned my back on him, headed for the bathroom again as I heard him open the glass doors.

It didn't take me twenty minutes to have a quick shower, no matter how long I wanted to prolong my stay in the luxurious bathroom. Conscious that Jamie was still around the room, I quietly opened the door, with the fluffy white robe wrapped around me and tiptoed to the little room opposite the bathroom where I'd dropped my bag.

While in the shower, a horrible thought had come to me and I'd thought what if I was the one keeping everyone from having dinner on time? That made me speed things up.

I didn't know how I was expected to dress for dinner here, which was why I decided to go with a casual style.

As I hurriedly sorted out my outfit for the evening, a simple flowered knee-length yellow wrap dress, the contents in my bag spilled to the top of the table in the middle of the room but I didn't bother to re-arrange them since I was going to come back here and we were probably running late for dinner.

I patted the dress down against my body as it looked a bit rumpled from where I'd placed it in the bag. This would have to do. I thought as I pulled out a pair of low white sandals. I silently thanked God that I'd decided to add those to the pile even after Jamie had mocked me about packing the whole house along with me.