4

That next day Stiles hopped into his jeep and started the engine, with great difficulty. The jeep was way past its time, it was falling apart one piece at a time, but Stiles wasn't about to abandon it.

He arrived at the small store Beacon Hills had, picking up a few things for his dad. He rarely came to the store - if he's honest, he hated this place. There were too many people taking too long to choose an item, and Stiles just wanted to get out of there as quickly as possible. 

He was rushing down an isle that seemed less crowded than the others, only to bump into someone. 

"Oh I'm sor- Derek?" 

"Stiles." Derek nodded - he was always so quiet, and kinda all fancy talk.  

"Sorry I was just, obviously not looking where I was going." Stiles looked up at the things Derek was picking up. Rope, duct tape, cable ties..."redecorating huh?" 

Derek only raised his eyebrows, yet again. How did someone make eyebrow raising look so hot, honestly? 

Stiles looked down at the floor, seeing the end of the rope dragging. He bent down, picking it up. 

"You uh...don't want you to be tripping over the end..." Stiles handed Derek the end of the rope with an awkward laugh. 

Derek nodded, taking the rope from Stiles' hand, touching Stiles' fingers slightly. For such a small touch, Stiles didn't expect to feel some kind of electric feeling shoot through him. He withdrew his hand quickly, making a small nervous laugh. For a second he thought he just had a a classic movie moment - could've just been an electric shock though.

"Sooo...I should um, let you get back to shopping so you can - yeah - go and redecorate." 

Derek only let out a small huff of laughter, barely even a laugh, but Stiles picked up on it, so he continued rambling stupidly.  

"You know for a do-it-yourselfer, it isn't wise to redecorate without a floor protector - which you don't seem to have." 

"Maybe thats because I'm not redecorating, Stiles." 

"Oh so why the ropes and-" Stiles made an 'O' shape with his mouth, silently realising what was going on. 

Derek only smirked in response to Stiles' realisation. 

"Thats kinda...doesn't that like - hurt?" Stiles looked over the things Derek has picked up, his eyes growing wide with curiosity.

"Curious?" Derek offered a smug smile. 

"I uh - I mean, hypothetically speaking, a little." 

"Well then hypothetically speaking - " Derek pulled out a small piece of paper and scribbled something down. "You should keep this." 

Derek folded up the paper before handing it to Stiles. 

"Have a nice day, Stiles." 

Stiles watched as Derek took his things to the counter, before leaving the store. He took a deep breath, unfolding the piece of paper to reveal a phone number. He blinked a few times, not sure if he was dreaming or not. 

Quickly paying for his things and leaving, he jumped into his jeep, driving to Lydia's as fast as he could. 

He banged on the door until she swung it open, startled by him. 

"Lydia I have a huge problem." 

"Oh no, what now." Lydia let him in. 

"Derek Hale, the big scary Alpha dude, I met him." 

"You what!?" 

Stiles told her the story of the first time he met Derek, not leaving a single detail out, and then carried on to the most recent meeting. 

"You asked if it hurt? Stiles are you an idiot?" Lydia almost screeched at him. 

"He answered by giving me his number on this piece of paper." 

"Oh my god, he did?!" 

"Yeah, and now I don't know if I should text him, and Scott's gonna kill me." 

"You have to text him." Lydia smiled. 

"Did you not listen to what I just said? Scott will literally kill me." 

"You said he's nice right? Hot too, so why not? You're obviously interested in him."

"I just - what if he's just being nice and then kills me or something?"

"Text him." 

"But-" 

"Stilesssss!" 

"Ok ok stop! I'll do it...what do I say?" 

"Anything." 

Stiles put the number in his phone, saving it as 'Derek the Alpha dude'. 

"Stiles, the name...seriously?" 

Stiles shrugged, tapping away trying to compose a message. 

'Hey Derek, it's Stiles. Just thought I'd let you know incase you wanna save my number - or not - if you don't want to - you get what I'm saying. Thanks for your number.'

He rambled in his typed, and pressed send - instantly regretting it.

"Lydia, he's gonna think I'm an idiot." 

Lydia looked at Stiles, cracking a smile. "You're totally blushing."  

"I - he's - he's really attractive ok." Stiles huffed. 

Lydia eyed him, making him blush more. 

"Can we just order pizza?" He groaned. 

"You're paying." 

"Deal." 

Once Stiles had eaten pizza with Lydia, and Allison who decided to join. He spent the remainder of the afternoon retelling the story to Allison, who teased him just like Lydia had done. Stiles made her promise not to tell Scott - he'd tell him soon. 

He'd headed back home in time to have a shower and play a few video games before jumping into bed. Just as he was getting comfortable, his phone buzzed. 

Derek the Alpha dude: 

My pleasure, Stiles. 

With that, Stiles set his phone down, and closed his eyes. 

~

Derek had tried to sleep, but he couldn't. He couldn't stop the small argument going on in his brain. One part of him told him he liked the thought of this Stiles kid. He was cute, and awkward. But the other part told him he should stop before even starting.

Derek was different from other Alphas. He had no intentions of ever using anyone for sex without their consent. He wouldn't introduce anyone into the world he kept behind closed doors, not if they didn't want to be. 

He looked fancy, and intimidating on the outside, kept his guard up, but in reality he was just as soft as any other person. 

He didn't see the point in forcing someone into something. Sure, like any other dominant, he had certain...kinks, you could say. But no way would he force them upon anyone. 

Derek was just different.