40

"Take away my powers instead, I - I don't need them" Derek pleaded. 

"Where's the fun in that? That way, you wouldn't be an Alpha, you'd be able to have everything you ever wanted with Stiles. No, this way is much more fun. This way, the only way you get to be with him, is by following the rules." 

Derek heard gun fire, seeing Braeden behind them. He watched Kali and Deucalion scatter off, still somewhat victorious. He couldn't help it, as Breaden rushed over to him, he crashed to his knees, both physically and emotionally exhausted.

"Derek?" 

"It's...it's not my powers" Dereks head hung in his hands. "My bond...he took my bond with Stiles." 

Breaden didn't know what to say, she placed a hand on Derek's shoulder. "We'll get it back, I promise, now let's get out of here." 

"That's the thing, once its broken, you can't fix it. I shouldn't feel anything for Stiles anymore." 

"But do you?" Breaden paused, "do you still love him?"

"With all my heart." 

~

"Why can't I feel him anymore...Lydia..." Stiles panicked, it was bizarre. He couldn't describe the feeling - the feeling of not being able to feel Derek. Even that sentence was far too complicated for his liking. 

"You're not gonna like this..." 

"What?" Stiles was suspicious.

"We need to talk to Deaton...and Professor Shane."

Stiles pulled his face "I hate that guy." 

Stiles drove them over to the clinic, meeting Scott there. 

"Stiles - " 

"I'm fine" he nodded, Scott knew it was a lie. 

"Derek's on his way back" Deaton started. 

"Does he know what's happening." 

Deaton nodded. "Derek won't kill you and join him...so he took away the most powerful thing, the thing Derek needs to transform into a full wolf." 

"A mate" Scott added as he figured it out, looking over at Stiles. "He...Deucalion took your bond." 

Stiles began to falter, "why... is that, is that why I can't feel him anymore?" 

Deaton seemed reluctant to answer, but nodded. 

"We can get it back though right? I still, I still love him, that means something." 

"You're human, the bond is hardly of meaning to you. For Derek, it's much more complex than just loving somebody." 

"So Derek can't love me anymore, because we're not bonded?" 

"That'll depend on just how strongly he felt for you before the bond was broken." 

Stiles looked around everyone, his stare eventually meeting the floor. 

"There might be something we're missing here..." Shane spoke, making everyone look at him. "Derek never officially marked you, the necklace was a mere gesture. The physical bond may have been broken, but the bond could still be officiated, seems as it never was in the first place." 

"So...so how does he mark me. I can't believe that just made sense" Stiles spoke the last part to himself.

"He bites you" Scott spoke up, as if it were that obvious.

"It's not that simple" Deaton now continued. "There are a few exceptions. Firstly, it has to happen on a full moon, during sex."

Scott cringed a little, looking over at Stiles.

"I mean...we, we have plenty of bondage – bonding sex" Stiles quickly, and very awkwardly coughed to correct himself.

The room noticed the remark, but refused to address it. "None of which Derek has bit you, though."

"No, at least not in a werewolfy kinda way."

Swifly moving on, Shane jumped in. "After the mark, you'll feel a constant connection, a need to be near them or touch them. The possessive instinct in Derek will heighten; you'll be able to sense each other's mood, feelings, needs."

"How could Deucalion break the bond, if Derek never marked in the first place?"

"You may not have officially had the mark, but you still felt all the other things, am I right?"

"Well, yeah I guess."

"It's rare, but some couples don't need a physical representation – a mark. They depend on the pure emotional connection they have."

"So you're telling me that he took our emotional bond."

"Precisely," Deaton jumped in, "which means you can still create the physical bond, he can still mark you as his mate."

"Yeah, and then what? We're only bonded because we have a physical attraction to each other."

"That's the catch" Deaton sighed.

"We don't need a bond to be together, he'll still love me, I know he will."

Scott and Deaton looked between each other as Stiles spoke. 

"Stiles -" 

"No, I don't want to talk about it anymore" Stiles was evidently getting upset. "We need to wait for Derek, he'll know what to do."

"Stiles wait -" Lydia followed him. 

"I just want to be alone" Stiles spoke to her pleadingly. "I can't, I can't take it anymore Lydia, how many more ways are people gonna think of to keep us apart? Maybe we're just not meant to be together." 

"Oh no, no you don't" she grabbed his arm. "You two will be together, we'll make sure of it."