22

Scott and Stiles hesitantly followed Derek into the animal clinic, seeing Deaton and Professor Shane. They stood quietly - Shane gave both of them the creeps. 

"Well?" Scott spoke first, Stiles stood next to him. 

"We've come to the conclusion that your friend - Lydia, is a rather extravagant creature, a Banshee." Deaton spoke warmly. 

"A what what?" Stiles refused to make eye contact with Derek as he spoke, although he could feel his gaze. 

"A Banshee, also known as the wailing woman. It derives from Irish mythology, a woman who can herald death. She not only feels death pass through her, but can also predict death, and in the rare occasion, interfere with death." Shane began, making everyone listen. "In Gaelic lore, they had long red hair, that would shimmer like wild fire. Thats what gave the banshee her apparent 'flashing beacon of wild fire' appearance." 

"Lydia's strawberry blonde." Was all's Stiles concluded. 

Both Derek and Scott looked across at him, almost in either disbelief or disgust, Stiles couldn't decided which one. 

"So what you're saying is, Lydia screams when someones about to die?" Scott asked. 

"Basically." Shane nodded. "We'll have to keep a real close eye on her once we break the news. I'm not quite sure how she'll take it." 

"We?" Stiles butted in. 

"Mhm, all of us." 

"You really think you can just waltz in here like you know Lydia? You're not going anywhere near -"

"Stiles enough!" Derek's voice cut through the air, making Stiles shut up and look at him. "Can I have a word?" He asked a little gentler. 

"Yeah. In fact, you can have three. Go. Fuck. Yourself." Stiles stomped out of the room, huffing as he did.

"Wha-" 

"He's still pissed with you, if you hadn't noticed." Scott said with annoyance. 

"I didn't do anything-"

"Seriously Derek?" Scott rolled his eyes, deciding it was time he went to check if Stiles was ok. 

Derek looked at Deaton who smiled endearingly. "Boyfriend trouble?" 

"Yeah." Derek sighed. "Wait how did you know about us?" 

"It's plain obvious. I've seen the way you look at the kid. Out of all the years i've known you, I've only ever seen that look once before." 

Derek remained quiet, not wanting to think about the past. 

~

That next day, Scott and Stiles both attempted school again. With the new information about Lydia freshly on their minds, they had to focus on class more than usual. 

"New kids?" Scott pointed at the two guys who walked into the room. 

"Twins." Stiles raised his eyebrows, clearly checking them out. 

The twins sat down, one either side of Scott and Stiles, making Stiles a little nervous. 

"Morning class!" The far too chirpy teacher came strolling in. "I'd like you to welcome Ethan and Aiden into the group, who have just started here at Beacon Hills High. I'd like you all to make them feel welcome. For their first week, I'll need two volunteers to show them around." 

Scott and Stiles immediately put their heads down, not wanting to take part in the vote. 

"Scott and Stiles!"