30

"No. Definitely not." Stiles began protesting as soon as he awoke the next morning.

"He can help."

"Theres just...something evil about him. No."

"Then we'll talk to Deaton, but I'm telling you, Shane knows more than he's letting on."

"I'll talk to Deaton, but we're not-"

"Talking to Shane. Got it." His father butted in, hurrying them along.

Stiles rolled his eyes, following them to the car. Once they'd sat in silence for a short while, they soon arrived.

"You ok?" Scott questioned, seeing Stiles hesitate before going in.

"Yeah" he sighed "lets go."

Scott and Stiles followed Stilinski into the clinic, Stiles groaning when he saw Shane.

"Whats this guys deal anyway? Why's he always here?"

"Hello to you too, Stiles" Shane dismissed the comment.

"We're working on something" Deaton answered before turning his attention to Scott, "you called?"

"We need to know what you know about Derek."

"I know a lot about Derek" Deaton seemed confused.

"Do you know what happened last night?" Stilinski asked.

"I heard, yes. I presume you've come wondering what I know about Derek and the Alpha's, is that correct?"

Scott nodded, "can you tell us anything? Why they wanted him to join the pack?"

"And we know it wasn't because he killed Ennis" Stiles added. "Although the rest of the alphas, except for Deucalion seemed to believe he did."

Deaton nodded "Deucalion killed Ennis, I'm sure of it. The rest of the pack most probably do in fact believe it was Derek, giving them a reason to follow along with deucalions plan." He paused, everything seemed to make sense now. "Talia, Derek's mother, was a very important lady in the community. She could transform into a full wolf, giving her great power. It's one of the strongest forms of the shift, stronger than any Alpha's power. Derek's older sister, Laura could also transform. As of now, these two were the only known werewolves able to shift in such a way."

"So what does this have to do with Derek?" Stiles questioned, impatiently.

"To be able to transform like that, you need to, 1: be an Alpha, and 2: have a mate."

Stiles and Scott exchanged awkward looks at Deaton's words, ignoring Shane's stare.

"The Hales were the only pack who have ever been able to do this. Derek had given you that necklace, the one you're wearing, right?" Deaton looked over at Stiles who nodded, tucking the necklace under his shirt.

"Mates." Shane interrupted, making the Sheriff throw Stiles a questioning look.

"My guess is that Deucalion noticed your necklace, and knew what was about to come. He felt threatened by Derek. What better way to eliminate a threat than to get them to join you? Although it seemed to have ended a lot differently than it was supposed to."

"So you're saying Derek could transform into a full wolf?" Scott asked.

"No. He would've only been able to transform once he'd marked Stiles as his mate."

"He...yeah he never did that." Stiles looked conflicted within his own thoughts.

"He probably had no idea." Scott insisted.

Stilinski stood up, "so then why would they try to force Derek to kill Stiles if Stiles was his 'mate'?"

"My guess is that they'd seen Stiles' pendant and assumed Derek had already told him."

Stiles looked around at everyone's blank faces, watching them try to conjure up some kind of way forward, a next step.

"Well it's useless now anyway...Derek's dead...he's..." Stiles couldn't take talking about Derek anymore. He turned his back, slowly walking out of the door and disappearing around the corner.

~

Scott looked around the room at the empty faces. "Just give him a minute" the sheriff spoke before someone went after him.

"So, what else do you know?" The sheriff continued.

"I'm afraid i've told you everything." Deaton concluded as their attention turned to Shane.

"What?"

"What do you know?" Scott pried.

"Me? Nothing you've already been told."

"Your heart beat...it jumped."

"Fine, but it's not me you should be talking to."

"Then who?" Stilinski asked.

"The Argents."

"What? Why them?" Scott suddenly seemed interested.

"'Experienced hunters' really Scott, you haven't clicked yet?" Shane looked at Scott's blank face. "The Bestiary, did you ever get it?"

"Yeah but we didn't need it in the end."

"That book is full of mythical creatures. From werewolves, to Kanima's. You really believe they're just 'animal hunters'? Why'd you think Derek had them help you save Stiles?"

"No...Allison isn't..."

"It's just like watching history repeating. The werewolf and the hunter."

"What? What's that supposed to mean?" Scott could feel himself getting angry.

"The Argents? Kate...Argent. Werewolf hunters...isn't it self explanatory?"

"Derek dated Kate." Deaton decided to step in.

"So?"

"Kate also burnt his family to death." Deaton added.

"That...that doesn't mean anything. Allison is nothing like her. Her and her father, they're our friends."

"For how long?" Shane pushed Scott's temper.

"Can we focus on Derek and Stiles here, please?" Stilinski took over, noticing Scott's breathing becoming shallower as the conversation went on.

"Gladly." Deaton nodded.

~

Stiles' breathing became heavier as he sunk against the wall, his head in his hands, tears threatening to spill.

"Pull yourself together Stiles" he whispered to himself, clutching his hands together.

He pulled the necklace out from under his shirt, holding it between his fingers. "C'mon Stiles, breathe" he spoke to himself.

He was thankful that nobody had chased after him, he needed some alone time.

Everyone needed space to breathe, space to cry silently to themselves once in a while.

He couldn't take all the talking in there any longer.

Tears dripped from his face as he sat quietly, in his own thoughts. He just couldn't shake the feeling that something wasn't right. He couldn't pin point what it was, but it was something.

Twirling the pendant between his fingers as he sat alone, the overwhelming feeling of that something was bugging him.

He pulled the necklace off, holding it in his hand.

Clutching it in his palm, he suddenly felt a burning sensation on his skin. As he dropped it, he noticed a red mark on his palm, the same shape as the triskelion.

"What the...?"