11

"She's definitely supernatural." Deaton paused. "Although I'm not entirely sure what she is."

"So how do we find out what she is?" Scott questioned.

"I'll need to do some more tests and research. For now you should all get some rest."

Scott sighed, nodding. He looked over at Allison who gave him a shy nod. Scott and Allison left first, leaving Derek and Stiles with Deaton and Melissa.

Derek stood still, as if he was waiting for Stiles to leave, but Stiles wasn't about to budge. Hesitantly, Derek spoke up, being careful what to say around Stiles, and also around Melissa.

"I know how you can find out what Lydia is."

Deaton looked up, signalling for Derek to continue.

"The Argents, they have a book called the bestiary."

"A book full of mythical creatures?" Stiles was suddenly interested.

Derek nodded. "Get that book, and you'll be able to find out."

"Can Scott get it by any chance?" Deaton raised his eyebrows as he spoke.

"Hopefully."

"Wait wait wait...why would the Argents have a book full of mythical creatures?" Stiles suddenly realised, making him confused.

The room fell silent. Neither Derek, Melissa or Deaton spoke up.

"Am I missing something here?" Stiles questioned again, seeing Melissa just as confused as him.

"You'd be best not knowing."

"No Derek, if you want me and Scott to trust you, you can't keep secrets."

"I'm protecting you and Scott. It's best if you don't get involved."

"No, you're keeping secrets because you think we can't handle it."

"Stiles-"

"I can handle it Derek!" Stiles threw his arms in the air. "I'm not just some stupid kid."

Derek remained silent, so Stiles took it as his cue to leave.

"Wait Stiles" he felt Derek pull his arm. Derek looked around the room, holding Stiles close. "We'll talk about it...somewhere else."

Stiles pulled his face, but let Derek pull him out of the door regardless. They walked to Stiles' jeep. Derek jumped in the passenger side despite Stiles' scowl.

"So..." Stiles tapped his fingers on the wheel when Derek didn't speak. "Derek I swear to God I'll drag your little werewolf ass out of -"

"They're werewolf hunters!" Derek raised his voice over Stiles, containing his anger.

Stiles was stunned. He didn't know what to say, he could only stutter stupidly.

"Now do you see why I didn't want to tell you?" Derek patronised Stiles.

"I - but Scott's - Allison...ohhh shit..." Stiles started piecing it all together.

Derek sighed, watching Stiles carefully.

"I need to warn Scott." Stiles went to start his jeep but Derek grabbed his hand.

"Scott can't know. Not yet."

"Are you crazy?!"

"He needs to get that book first."

Stiles pulled his hand out of Derek's roughly, turning the keys in the ignition.