38

A few days had passed. With Stiles still worried about Derek, he'd been visiting more often. With his father on his side, he'd been trying to persuade Derek that it might do him some good if they got away for a few days, however Derek was most definitely avoiding it. 

He'd insist that he had 'things to do' but yet Stiles never actually saw him do, well - anything. It had only really just dawned on Stiles that Derek was seemingly changing. He missed how it was before all the drama. The times they'd spend doing, you know. Things like...laundry. Yeah, laundry. 

Derek was constantly on edge ever since the Alpha attack, Stiles noticed he'd barely even been sleeping. He was hesitant to spend any time with Stiles, and when they did spend time together, Stiles felt like he'd get more attention out of a brick wall. 

"Hey" Stiles spun around at Derek's voice, not expecting him back so early. 

"You're early" he commented, smiling slightly. 

Derek nodded in agreement, heading for the kitchen. "Shouldn't you be at school?" He looked across at Stiles who had followed him. Stiles shrugged, earning a frown from Derek. "Stiles you shouldn't skip school." 

Rolling his eyes, he followed Derek into the bedroom where he grabbed his large bag. Stiles watched as he threw a few pairs of clothes in it, and then headed for the safe. 

"Derek what the-" he stopped mid sentence as Derek turned around, two guns in his hands. 

He watched intently as Derek zipped up the bag, slinging it over his shoulder. "Care to explain?" His confusion was evident. 

"I'll be gone for a few days."

"Is that the only explanation I get? After constantly avoiding me I think I deserve a little more." 

"I can't tell you." 

"You can't tell me?" 

"Stiles -"

"Are you going with Braeden?" 

"It's not what you think" Derek spoke as he saw Stiles' face.

"Well then enlighten me Derek, what is it?" 

"She works for me. I hired her to help me track down some body." 

"And the guns...?"

"They're hers" Derek lied. 

Stiles ceased to continue, but his mind got the better of him. 

"Let me help." 

"Stiles there's nothing you can do to help." Derek headed for the front door, Stiles hot on his trail. 

"At least tell me where you're going!" He protested. 

"Mexico." 

"Mexico?! Derek what in the-" 

"I'll be back in three days." 

"Der-" Stiles grabbed his arm, tugging him to look at him. There was no point arguing. "Just...be careful."

"I will" Derek placed his bag on the floor, looking at Stiles' sad eyes. He sighed, placing both hands on either side of Stiles' cheeks. "Three days" he spoke gently, kissing Stiles softly. 

Stiles nodded, reluctant to let Derek go. He stood silently as Derek picked up his bag and opened the door. 

"Love you" Derek spoke as he headed out, Braeden already parked outside.

Stiles reiterated the comment, watching Derek go, before he turned around again. 

"Stiles?" Derek smiled, throwing him his keys "stay out of trouble" he opened the car door, jumping in.

Stiles looked down into his hands as they drove off. Derek's keys, containing both the house and car key...nice. Maybe this wouldn't be so bad after all. 

~

"You sure about this?" Braeden looked across at Derek, gun in her hand at the ready.

"Are you?" 

Braeden took a deep breath, removing the safety from her gun, looking across at Derek. 

"Good" he did the same, jumping out of the car. 

"Where exactly are we?" Derek asked as they trudged further through sand dunes.

"La Iglesia."

"I've been here before..." Derek seemed confused.

"You sure? This place has been abandoned for centuries." 

"I'm sure...I just don't remember when." 

Braeden glanced across at Derek as they came to the top of the sand dunes, over looking the abandoned town. "Stay behind me." 

Without arguing the matter, Derek stayed close behind as they made the trek down the hill. Derek looked down at the gun in his hand, hoping this thing was as reliable as his claws once used to be. Difference is, he actually knew how to use his claws - he could barely load this thing. 

Braeden was the only one who knew about Dereks - condition - you could call it. He hadn't plucked up the courage to tell Stiles yet, but he was about to fix it. Stiles never needed to know. 

Yes, Derek was somehow loosing his werewolfy powers. There was no reasonable explanation for it, or at least thats what he had thought, until Braeden came along. 

Braeden was an assassin, capturing and killing people for money. The concept was alarming, but Derek trusted her to help him. 

"What ever you do, just keep the firing end pointed away from you" Braeden glanced back at Derek, who nodded at her untimely sarcastic remark. 

They stood outside an old church, it's walls almost crumbling. 

"Watch out for the Nagual." Braeden warned him. 

"The what?" 

"Legend has it, the church is inhabited by werejaguars." 

"Great" Derek took a breath as Braeden crept through the doors.

The silence was deceiving, it was making Derek more nervous. 

"Ready?"