Chapter 110~!

~February 26th, 2014~

Alice's POV~

"Hey~!" Gil called as he opened the front door and waltzed in after a good day of work. I could tell it had been a good one because he was grinning broadly and had no thick stack of papers under one arm.

"Hi!" I answered, peeking my head out of the kitchen doorway to grin at my fiancé. "How'd it go today?"

"I pulled a great prank on Roddy today," Gil chuckled wickedly as he shed his coat and hung it up on a hook by the door. "So, he loves his classical music, right? Well, I took his CDs and hid them before replacing them with rap music, but he had no idea until he started playing them on his speakers in his class." He was on the verge of cracking up; it couldn't have been the first time today.

"He didn't notice they weren't the classical CDs?" I asked with a mirthful eyebrow raised. One corner of my lips was turned up in a half-smile.

"Nope! The CDs were just blank, they all were," Gil explained. His nose turned up suddenly and he sniffed the air. A look of intrigue was on his face. "What'm I smelling? Are those... cookies?"

"Cookie dough," I corrected with a grin. "I got bored, so I made some from scratch."

"That sounds wonderful right now," Gil said sincerely as he pecked my cheek on his way into the kitchen behind me.

We'd been taking things slowly for the past week. We had yet to really kiss, on the lips, but there were still little flirty touches here and there that weren't particularly invasive. Gilbert had been great with respecting my personal space and boundaries, but I had the sneaking suspicion that it was starting to get to him.

Gil liked to hug, he liked to kiss, he liked physical contact. I didn't need to be told that it was reassuring to him, I could just tell. But there was something inside me, telling me that... something was wrong. It could have been the fact that my amnesia was giving me some strange sensations every now and then, but then again the doctor said that was normal.

You know what it feels like when you get deja vu, right? Now imagine feeling that throughout the entire day. No wonder everything was sending my alarm bells ringing!

I swatted Gil's hand playfully away from the cookie dough sitting there helplessly in a mixing bowl on the counter. "You can't eat that~"

"Can I help?" he asked, giving me darling red puppy eyes.

The stern expression I adopted couldn't hold for very long under that stare. "... You win, you win. Let's make some shapes outta these suckers!"

Over the course of the next hour, I got a smudge of flour rubbed onto my nose and cheek; Gil found cookie cutters in the shape of letters and we cut out our names in the cool, pliable dough; and we danced to the music coming from the radio while the cookies baked in the oven.

At one point, we laid out our names on the same cookie tray so mine was above his. I turned my back for a moment to drop some dishes into the sink, and when I turned back Gil was sliding the tray into the oven. I didn't know it until he pulled it out, but he'd added something to it when I wasn't looking.

"They're done!" Gil announced excitedly as the timer went off on a beeping rampage. I had my hand on the handle of the oven door when Gil put his on top of mine and asked if he could pull out the tray. I shrugged and stepped back, watching with slight interest. What was so important about him pulling out the tray instead of me?

I soon was answered: he'd put a heart in between our names.

"Awww~!" I cooed, placing my flour-dusted hands over my chest. "Right in the heart, Gil. Right in the heart."