Chapter 122~!

"Uh, Carlea?" Francis said into the phone. "I just remembered something..."

"What is it?" I asked into the speaker, my tone adopting clear worry. "Did something happen?"

"You were supposed to take that box of food to Sera tomorrow, but I completely forgot that you can't drive at the moment," he said a bit bashfully, like he was ashamed for having forgotten. "You couldn't find your license anywhere; isn't that what you told me?"

My mouth hung open, then I let my forehead smack the dining room table. "I am such an idiot..."

"Well, so am I, then," Francis chuckled. "But it's alright, I'll take it to her myself. Maybe you can come along one of these days, too. It could pour out some memories."

"Yeah, that'd be nice," I agreed. Francis' next question was kind of sudden, however.

"Carlea, have you and Gilbert talked about anything having to do with your upcoming wedding yet?"

My eyes widened, my lips stilled in pause. I didn't know what to say! "... No... No, we haven't! I can't believe it, we haven't at all!"

"Ah, calm down, it's all right," he said quickly. "Carlea, he probably just wanted to give you enough time to adjust before bringing that up. After all, you don't remember falling in l'amour with him or his proposal at all. Your situation is a lot like that movie, Fifty First Dates. You probably don't remember that, either, but--"

"Doesn't the main character have to get this girl to fall in love with him every single day because she forgets meeting him after she goes to sleep at night?" I piped up out of the blue.

There was stunned silence on the other end of the phone connection. Then, "Wow."

"Wow? What's wow?" I asked fretfully. "I-- Sorry, I've been doing that kind of a lot lately..."

"You've been remembering little things like movies and song lyrics lately?" Francis guessed incredulously. I nodded, and then realized he couldn't see me.

"Yeah, they've just been sudden and they come out of nowhere. Sometimes I don't even notice what I'm doing until it's pointed out by someone else." My index finger tapped my lower lip gently while I gazed down at the table surface.

Francis let out a peal of happy laughter. "This is such good news! At this rate, you'll be remembering real memories of yourself and your past!"

'My past...' "Uhm... About that..."

"Oui?" he prompted me curiously.

My mind had wandered to those blips of dreams I'd imagined-- or maybe remembered? No, that was impossible. After all, there was no such thing as running a maze filled with burning butterflies. Those things didn't exist! And not only that, but why would I of all people go through something as weird as that?

Really, it was like some sort of cracked up work of fiction!

"No, never mind," I said lightly. "Forget I said anything."

"Alright. But you do know you can talk to me if you need to," he reminded me, and I let out a little laugh.

"I do. Thank you, Francis. Uhm, I have to get going now, so I'll see you at work on Monday."

We said our goodbyes and hung up. When I stood up, I glanced over at the kitchen stove with a pot waiting on the cold burner. Gilbert had called not long before Francis had, and my albino fiancé had asked me to try my hand at making something and bringing it to him at his classroom. The request had seemed odd, but when he went on to explain that he couldn't get away from his desk until some time after eight, it made sense in my mind.